Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Alcohol and breast milk

Default Alcohol and breast milk

I plan to go to a wedding this weekend without my LO. I'll have a few drinks but nothing crazy. I plan to pump prior to cocktail hour and save that and then "pump and dump" after the wedding. How long after my first drink should I dump the milk?

Default Re: Alcohol and breast milk

Alcohol stays in the milk as long as it stays in you blood, so pumping and dumping will not make it leave your milk faster.

Here is an article from Kellymom you might find helpful http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...style/alcohol/

It's not your first drink that is the issue- it's your last drink, because that will be the last alcohol to leave your system.

Generally, moderate amounts of alcohol are not a problem in breastmilk. Once a moms no longer feeling tipsy, her milk is pretty much safe for baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

A good rule of thumb is the same one you would use when driving. As PP said, your body metabolizes alcohol in your milk the same as your blood... I could never tell if I was still tipsy (and let's face it, no drinking for 9+ months and one glass of wine had me loopy), so if I was going to be gone from LO, say, 4 hours, I would stop drinking about 2 hours before I was back with LO just to be sure. I was very cautious and maybe overly so... I figured I could drink again once LO was older and had drank enough prior to kids that I wasn't going to miss anything LOL

Another thought: I did pump and dump on one occassion, that is when my pumping "time" was during my time away from the baby and I had been drinking. I pumped to keep up supply, but the milk was no good.
    Last edited by @llli*5ofus; August 27th, 2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: another thought
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03
    Our family blog
    And my own blog

Yeah. Don't take the time to dump if you can help it. Just don't feed the baby until you feel OK. Even if your breast are full, if you have metabolized the alcohol, your milk will be fine when you go to feed.

Way too lazy for formula

How old is your baby?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

InfantRisk has an article on this --

Alcohol and Breastfeeding

It mentions a method for estimating the amount of time that you should wait before breastfeeding; there's an online calculator for it here:

Estimated Time to Zero Alcohol in Breastmilk (Calculator)

You plug in your body weight and how many drinks you had, it will give you the amount of time it will take to completely eliminate the alcohol from your milk. Basically, it's about 2-2.5 hours per drink.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; August 28th, 2012 at 04:37 AM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

My baby is 11 weeks

My baby doesn't take a bottle, so I have tried to feed him plenty and then have my drink right afterwards, but it seems like when I do that, he still ends up hungry after about an hour. So here's the thing: info from the articles would lead me to believe I should just tee-total for the duration for breastfeeding, since there doesn't seem to be a time when he'd go that long between feedings, except for early morning, and I'm not that hardcore!! But earlier someone said that as long as you feel okay (i.e., not tipsy) you should be fine. So does that mean I can still have my glass of wine, even if he doesn't wait 2 hours to be fed?

I wouldn't worry about one glass of wine, honestly. It's a personal decision, but I went with the general rule that if I didn't feel drunk I was okay to nurse.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous