Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't sleep...

Default Won't sleep...

My 6 w/o does not want to sleep during the day. She is wide awake all day long except for 5-10 minute catnaps but nothing like a solid hour of sleep! She goes to bed at 10pm and wakes up every 2-3 hours for feedings! Any suggestions?

p.s. I do not intake any caffeine.

Default Re: Won't sleep...

Will she sleep longer if you hold her? DS was a catnapper, too, but he took slightly longer naps. (He was six months old when he consistently started sleeping an hour or more at a time.) He also liked to sleep in his bouncy seat. Is she fussy or content when awake?

She is content when she is awake...if i hold her, she will a little longer but not much! I need help...

Napping during the day sometimes is hard for baby.
    Do you nurse in a quiet place? Sometimes thats all it takes to get them napping.

With all 3 of my kids, 6 weeks seemed to be the magic point when they stopped sleeping during the day! I am currently going through that with my 7 week old. Some days I can get him to take somewhat long naps, but usually he likes to just stay awake during the day. Also at night, sometimes he eats every 2-3 hours, sometimes he'll go for 4-6 hour stretches.. They are so unpredictable at this point. I'd say as long as your LO is content don't worry too much. Eventually mine all learned to sleep during the day and went on to become excellent nappers. You just have to get through this rough patch Hang in there. I know I'm trying to.

If she is content, is your concern getting a break for you? (Which I can completely understand, BTW.) Do you have a sling that you could put her in while you do some things around the house?

Hi

Have you tried a baby sling? I used one for my son, and it was a life saver in the early weeks. He napped in it while I wore him around the house. Once asleep in the sling, I could sit down and relax while still wearing him. Apparently wearing your baby during the day can actually help them sleeper better at night, plus it is suppose to be good for your milk supply.

Might be worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaPumpkin View Post
    Apparently wearing your baby during the day can actually help them sleeper better at night, plus it is suppose to be good for your milk supply.

Might be worth a try!
    I never heard that it might be good for supply - what's the reasoning behind that? I'd love to know...I might be apt to wearing my maya wrap more often - if I could figure out how to use use it properly!!

I wanted to say that my friend has a 4 month old, almost 5 months actually, and she still only naps three 20 minute naps a day! I cannot even imagine!! Hopefully your LO will start sleeping more soon!

well you guys, as a mother of three I must say I have never worried about the babies being awake in the DAY! Usually more awake time in the day equates to more sleep at night. At around 6 weeks they usually stop sleeping all day like newborns. This is a good thing! By around 2 months both ny DD's slept 1-2 hours in the morning, 1-2 hours in the afternoon, and up the rest of the day. But 20 minute catnaps throughout the day is fine too. You have to just get used to entertaining them and spending awake time with them because eventually they will be up MOST of the day, as they get bigger and bigger. There's no going back!

p.s....try a baby swing...my ds loves his, awake and asleep.