Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Needs Help!!

Question Needs Help!!

I have been exclusively breastfeeding for almost seven months now, and last week I got mastitis and my son and I both got thrush. I am on Diflucan 100mg twice daily for 2 weeks and also Nystatin Cream. He is on oral Nystatin as well. I have been on it for almost 5 days now, and been following my strict diet which consist of no yeast, sugar, dairy, salt etc.

Well....I slipped last night and had some Blue Bell I had in the freezer.

When I woke up this morning, it's like its all come back.. I feel like I'm back at day one (burning and aching in my left breast).

I have a very high metabolism, and am finding it hard to keep up with the calories since my diet is going to be so limited for the next few weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions??

- I am taking acidophilous, garlic, and prenatal's everyday... does anyone recommend any others?

- What are some foods I can eat that will actually FILL me up for more than 10 mins. I am ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hungry, even after a huge meal of steak, broccoli, potatoes, salad, and a bread. (Keep in mind I cant have SUGAR, SALT, YEAST, DAIRY)

- Is there anyway to make this infection in my breast go away quicker besides this strict diet??

Thanks Ladies!!!

Default Re: Needs Help!!

Bump

I'm really needing some suggestions
    Mama to Nathan Ryan Meehan

8lbs 5oz at birth

Born naturally after 4 hours of labor
    Exclusively for 7 months!!! Been stuck to the for almost 5 months!

I'm not an expert, but have had 4 bouts of mastits and 2 cases of thrush, so take my advice as you will:

Mastitis and thrush, as I am sure you know, are two different problems. The mastitis is often a bacterial infection that causes your breast to be hard, tender, hot, red, etc. usually in one area on one breast. I always had a fever and felt like I had the flu, which is common, from what I read.

Thrush is a yeast infection that can easily be passed back and forth between mom and baby. Baby's mouth may have white spots and they may be off their feeding if it is painful. For mom, you might notice that your breast itches and/or that your nipples are very sensitive to touch, like from your clothes rubbing.

There are lots of people who suggest that you can "cure" mastitis naturally with various home remedies. This did not work for me. I tried this once and the symptoms did abate, only to come back full force in a few days. I personally think you need an anti-biotic when you have mastits, which is the main way doctor's treat it. There are also people who are convinced (like my GP!) that thrush doesn't exist. My experience would certainly suggest otherwise!

With regards to solutions, here's my two cents:

You need to be on an anti-biotic to address the mastitis. You didn't list one, so I am assuming you are not one one. Did your doctor diagnose mastitis? If so, and he/she didn't prescribe an antibiotic, I would phone back and ask for one. If not, call your doctor and get an appointment or phone consultation so you can get an antibiotic. Also, while you are dealing with the mastitis, you need to be sure you are emptying that breast as best you can. Always nurse from that side first and offer it more frequently (if you feed on demand or on a schedule, you'll need to feed more often while you deal with this). Don't neglect the other breast though and pump from it as often as you would normally nurse (yes, this is time consuming, but if you don't, you may notice a supply decrease). A LC I worked with said you need to empty the infected breast at least 6 times in a 24 hour period. And, get lots of rest. When I've mastits, I got cozy in bed and had some help with the baby. I offered the infected breast every 1-2 hours and pumped the non-infected breast every 3 hours (he would normally feed about that often from both breasts, so I was trying to keep the supply normal). Usually the painful infection went away in about 24 hours and then I was feeling better in 2-3 days. Always complete the full course of antibiotics, regardless of when you start feeling better.

The problem with antibiotics is that they also kill the good stuff and can make you vulnerable to thrush. Take some acidopholis. Each probiotics. Stick to the diet as best you can (one slip up is unlikely to cause a major set back). Be sure you keep your breasts dry. Change your nursing pad every time you nurse (I bought disposable ones when I had thrush). You might want to wash your nipples off with a solution of baking soda and vinegar, then dry and put the nursing pad on. EVERYTHING that touches your milk should be washed in hot water as the yeast can live on in a cold wash and continue to reinfect (though, honestly, I wasn't religious about this and it wasn't a problem).

Good luck!

What about eggs? I ate lots of them as they are high in protein and helped me feel full longer.

Bread has yeast in it

You may need an antibiotic for the mastitis and/or Diflucan to make the thrush go away. It could also be a thrush mastitis. Have they cultured your milk?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

years ago, a mom who attended LLLmeetings with me kept on having bouts of mastitis until she went to the dentist, got her cavity drilled, cleaned and filled and had her teeth cleaned. she said her mastitis never came back after that.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Beans and Rice will fill you up, give you carbs and creat a perfect protein without any of the things you listed. This in conjuction with meats and greens seems like it would be fine to me. Use brown rice to replace the carbs you normally get from bread and eat it with lunch and dinner. I think corn tortillas also don't have any yeast in them so you can make things like chicken and steak fajitas or tacos with whole or refried beans.

Way too lazy for formula

Hi Ladies,
    Thanks for the suggestions!! I am on Diflucan (a 2 week dosage), and also Nystatin. I just started using Gentian Violet last night as well. I'm taking Grapefruit Seed, Acidophilous, Garlic, and my usual Prenatal Vitamins.

The Chicken and/or steak fajitas sounds MARVELOUS!! Great idea!! I'm just so used to eating tons of dairy: Yogurt, milk, ICE CREAM, cheese....It's hard to even begin to know where to start when in the kitchen.

As for eggs... I eat eggs out the wazzoo!! I ate 7 eggs for breakfast this morning. I don't know why it is so hard for my to feel full and stay feeling full.. does anyone else have this problem????

Before I got pregnant I weighed 121 lbs... I'm down to 114 now.. and it feels as though I'm just losing more and more. Idk what to do!!!
    Mama to Nathan Ryan Meehan

8lbs 5oz at birth

Born naturally after 4 hours of labor
    Exclusively for 7 months!!! Been stuck to the for almost 5 months!

But tons of dairy isn't great for you. And try beans and rice. I am mexican and they are a staple in our existence and when I want to cut carbs I cut the rice and I find even beans alone really curb hunger.

Way too lazy for formula