Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussiness while nursing

Default Fussiness while nursing

Hi I'm a new mom and my daughter is 5 weeks old. She has started to become fussy when I try to nurse her and I pay attention to her cues. She will generally open her mouth to latch but then continue to cry with her mouth open on my breast, but refuses to latch. She has not had a problem before and will nurse for 7 min to 20 min. There are times she will pull hersef off my breast and then get back on or just stop and cry. After a few tries and some soothing she will then latch. I can feel my let down and I wonder if it's to fast because there are times she gags. We also introduced a bottle a week in half ago. I' m wondering what I can do to help my little girl.

Default Re: Fussiness while nursing

bump
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Congrats on your baby girl!

Do you think it's a fast let down that's frustrating her? Sorry, I didn't understand from your post. If she's pulling off the breast or choking/gagging during let down, try unlatching her, and allowing it to spray into a clean towel or burp cloth, then latching her back on. OALD is a common problem, and she'll learn to deal with it as she gets bigger.

I have a 2 week old, and he's been fussing at the breast as well, much like what it sounds like your dd does. He'll latch, then pull the nipple, cry, unlatch and then be rooting like he wants to nurse... I'm not sure what the deal is, but usually if I give him a few minutes, try to burp him, change his diaper, rock him, and then latch him back on, he seems to do a little better.

Sorry I don't have any grand advice for you, I just wanted to let you know that I'm in the same boat!
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

I'm sorry you posted a week ago with no response! How is your baby doing now? Is she fussy when nursing throughout the day or just at certain times? Sometimes an overactive letdown, as Cassi mentioned, can make them fuss at the breast. It can also be related to a growth spurt; my kids were always generally fussy during one. Are you using a newborn/slow-flow nipple for bottle feeding? She could also be getting impatient that your milk isn't letting down as quickly as she would like as she adjusts to taking a bottle.

This link may provide some help: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/chil...while-nursing/
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.