Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green poop

Default Green poop

So for the past 11 days, my son has had green poop. It began after a normal colored poop streaked with blood. We went to the dr. They said it was probably dairy. I cut all dairy out,or so I thought. 5 days later i realized i'd purchased sherbet, not sorbet. No wonder his poops are still green. But now it's been 6 days and they are still green. No blood though. I do have forceful letdown, but no longer have oversupply. I did have that for the first month or so. He is definitely getting hindmilk, as he nurses for at least 40 min. on a side.

what else could it be?

Default Re: Green poop

This is one of those issues that makes me want to tear my hair out. So many mamas end up on severely restricted diets due to suspected allergies despite the fact that oversupply is a much more common cause of green and sometimes bloody poops than allergy is. Since you still have a forceful letdown, I think it makes sense to consider the oversupply angle before driving yourself crazy cutting foods from your diet.

I know green and bloody poops are freaky, but when a baby is growing and developing well and not showing additional signs of allergy (like excema or asthma), green and bloody poops are just not a big health concern.

I personally would be on the fence about a dietary elimination in your case. If you are going to eliminate something, dairy is the first suspect and you want to be 100% off of dairy for a few weeks before you decide whether or not the elimination diet is helping. Dairy is fairly persistent in your body and it's in a lot of things where you wouldn't suspect it to be- like bread and deli meats, for example- which means that it often sneaks back into your diet without you knowing about it. Also, it takes time for irritation to the intestinal lining to heal, regardless of whether the cause is allergy or oversupply, so you shouldn't expect green and bloody poops to vanish overnight.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Green poop

Thanks for the thoughts. I remembered after posting this that the blood and green showed up on a Tuesday, and the night prior I'd taken the first pill of amoxocillin. Tuesday morning I took a second pill. it was late afternoon when the strange poop occurred. I didn't take any more antibiotics after that. (dr. supported.

The poop is starting to look normal now. I have been off dairy for 7 or so days, but am thinking of eating it again and seeing if we have any issues. It just doesn't make sense to me that I had LOTS of dairy up until that strange poop, so if it was a problem for him, it seems it would have shown up earlier. But then again, I know nothing about digestion.

Does it seem reasonable to try dairy again, then go off it if there is more blood?