Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old suddenly spitting up/vomiting

Default 9 month old suddenly spitting up/vomiting

My LO is eating a tiny amount of pureed baby food. I can't tell if it has anything to do with the baby food, but 3 out of the 4 times she has spitup/vomited, it has been after having some babyfood.

It's alot of spitup. It's not a tummy bug because it's not every day. It's been happening over the course of about 10 days now. But she will skip a few days in between.

Another time she did it was in the middle of the night after nursing.

Do you think it is related to the babyfood?

Also, I'm certain my cycle is trying to return. I am getting all my telltale signs. Could something in my milk as a result of ovulation be causing it?

We went to the pedi today for an unrelated issue and she has lost 2 oz since last month the same day. She is so hard to nurse and now if she's going to start spitting up everything, I might lose my mind!

Default Re: 9 month old suddenly spitting up/vomiting

This is a tough one to answer with certainty. The one thing you can be sure of is that the vomitting is not being caused by your milk. Returning ovulation, the things you're eating- they aren't going to cause baby to throw up. It could be that the baby food is causing your LO to be sick to her stomach- what are you offering her? And it could also be a tummy bug, because a sick baby isn't necessarily going to puke every day. Does she seem unwell aside from the throw-ups?

A little weight loss in an older baby isn't so concerning. Older babies who are becoming very mobile (crawling, cruising, standing, etc.) often slide down the percentiles as they devote increasing amounts of calories to motion instead of packing them on as fat.

I know your LO has been a challenge to nurse, but I wouldn't worry too much about any of this.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: 9 month old suddenly spitting up/vomiting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    It could be that the baby food is causing your LO to be sick to her stomach- what are you offering her?
    Commercial baby food is what she has started vomiting after. Bananas, squash, apples, mangoes. I was going to make her food like I did DD1 and I did at 1st but when she would never open up, I started buying some to try.

Does she seem unwell aside from the throw-ups?
    Last week, she ran a tiny little 100 degree fever but it seemed like it was teething. It went away after like a day. Today, she has only vomited once and then spit up a little after a nursing. But today she is running another 100 degree fever and had a poopy diaper that made her bottom very red.

A little weight loss in an older baby isn't so concerning. Older babies who are becoming very mobile (crawling, cruising, standing, etc.) often slide down the percentiles as they devote increasing amounts of calories to motion instead of packing them on as fat.
    I think she's getting close to falling off the charts. Near 10% maybe. She's 16 lbs on a good day and she's 9 months old.

I will try not to worry and just continue to do what I've been doing. She's not nursing for very long each time and my breast doesn't feel empty, but I'm hesitant to coax her back if her tummy is upset. She's still slobbery and peeing. I offered her some cheerios. She "ate" a few I think.