Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 week old nurses 45min-1hr on each breast

Default 10 week old nurses 45min-1hr on each breast

Hi, this is my first post here!

Here is the story:

My son was born at 36w4d. He was a big baby. He regained his birth weight in a week, and has been gain9ng appropriately ever since. 55th for weight, but 97th for length. He did the 3 hour interval at the hospital, but after coming home and visiting a lc, she suggested every 2 at max to flush bili. He decided he liked every 1 1/2. night and day. Then he suddenly started sleeping longer stretches at night, and taking an afternoon nap. both have been lengthening.

He nursed for 30 min or so each side. For the past month He sleeps 6 hours or so, then feeds with me in bed until we get up, 8:30 or so. Aside from a 40 minute wake time in the a.m. and a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon, he will eat every hour, for at least 40 min on one side. At that point, I'll change him, potty myself/snack, and his little tongue will be going and he'll nurse the other side.

He has about 5 poops, and wet every time i change after a feeding. so a lot. we are going to an ent about a lip tie.

Is this normal? do i now count each side as a separate feed, instead of them together like before?

I feel like he hasnt progressed in efficiency. and what about play time? If i forego chores in the am, or a shower, he can play on the floor with me. otherwise he has to be in the swing to be safe (pets, and he doesnt like the infant bed of the playpen)

i yhink i need reassurance.

sorry- typing one handed

Default Re: 10 week old nurses 45min-1hr on each breast

I think you are correct-you need reassurance! It sounds to me that your baby is healthy, normal, and, if I understand correctly, exclusively breastfed. This is wonderful, especially since he was born slightly on the early side.

I can assure you you do not need to worry much about 'playtime.' A breastfed baby is getting lots of stimuli both by nursing and when nursing. Your loving arms, touch, your face, your voice, are what baby needs to develop his brain perfectly. If you want him to get more stimuli, you can sing to him, talk to him, read to him, make funny (loving) faces at him-whatever you like-while nursing as well as at other times. If your concern is tummy time for core muscle development, that can also be done to some extent with baby on your chest while you lean back, or in short spurts-maybe during diaper changes, etc. Also a baby can get some 'strength training' just being played with in your arms, dandied on your knee etc. Basically, the idea of tummy time is to get baby using muscles they do not use when laying on their backs (as for sleep) or spending a ton of time strapped into car seats, swings, high chairs, etc. A baby who spends lots of time in momma’s arms is probably being juggled around a lot and getting lots of muscle work.

A baby this age would normally need to nurse a minimum of 8 times a 24 hour day, and more often is just fine. Yes, many babies become more efficient at the breast and thus may decrease nursing time length-but not necessarily at every nursing session. So called 'comfort nursing' is appropriate and healthy and continues to be a big part of normal nursing behavior for as long as baby nurses-even if that is into toddlerhood and beyond. And for many babies, faster nursing sessions may not come until more like at 3-5 months of age or so. And some babies really enjoy hanging out at the breast. There is nothing harmful or wrong in this behavior.

If the very long nursing sessions are wearing on you, I would suggest trying breast compressions. Also, since baby is gaining well, no reason at this point to not gently take baby off the breast if he seems to be just hanging out, and trying other comfort measures/stimuli as you like. I would not suggest timing nursing sessions or trying to schedule meals or anything like that, but if/when YOU need a break I think it is fine to take one. And of course lip tie MAY be a factor that affects milk removal and could cause longer sessions. But since baby is gaining great, I would say you are doing great.

What about carrying baby in a sling or wrap or other soft front carrier sometimes for when you need to do chores? A baby held with their eyes close to adult eye level gets a ton of stimuli.

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Can I ask what baby book you're reading? Sometimes when a mom is concerned about "playtime" it's because of something she read- and a lot of baby books sell quite well despite recommending that moms ignore their instincts and ignore what makes their babies happy, and cram playtime and tummy time into their day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well, i don't have any baby books; the anxiety about playtime just stems from concern about his muscle development, especially head control. I try to nurse in different positions so he has that, i hold him upright with my hand just under his head so he can move it, and my husband holds him in ways so he can move his head too.

He has a very large head, and is really long, so i think it might just take him longer. His head grew very rapidly after birth, so much that we had to see a neurologist. All is fine.

I do have a sling that i nurse in sometimes, but he pops off so much in it as i move around, that it just is easier to sit. And he gets pretty heavy on my head cradle arm in the sling after an hour. He is 13 lbs

I'd like to try a mei tai, or boba 3g, but he doesn't have enough head control yet.

I do ease him off if i need to use the restroom, or make lunch/diner after he has been on 40 min. or so.

I only know one other person that is nursing right now, and her baby is fast. my mom nursed on demand but says she never let us stay on that long. So, I feel odd at times.

you can use a mei tai or a boba (both of which i think are great) long before baby has head control. we were using a mei tai from 4 weeks - about 6 hours a day!

sounds like everyhting else is normal, and he'll get muscle control as he gets older. it will likely become much easier to nurse in the sling, too, as he'll be able to keep his latch better.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Tht is good to know. I'll visit our local store that has them and try them out. Thanks!