Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Left side is drying up at 10 months - what do I do?

Default Left side is drying up at 10 months - what do I do?

Even though my DD is not 12 months yet I'm posting here since this is more of a "coming up to pump weaning time" kind of question.

My DD has been EBF from the start, and now eats lots of solids too. She has about 9oz EMB while I'm gone for about 9 hours per day.

My left has always had less milk, (I've posted a few times about various issues - left side can't trigger let-down, etc.). Now DD has all but stopped nursing on that side period. For a while I could trick her into taking it by doing a football hold, and I offer it all the time, and get her to suckle a little bit when she's going down for the night.

But when I pump during the day, I'm getting virtually nothing from that side. And this week my overall production at the pump has dropped from 9 or 10oz down to 5 or 7 (which is a drop for both sides - not just the left).

I'm at a crossroads since I'm gearing up to pump wean at 12 months anyway. So do I let it go and just accept that I might be dried up on that side, or do I fight to maintain my supply on both sides?

I know what I can do to get it back (pump on that side while DD nurses on the right in the evenings and mornings to make sure to drain it, continue to offer it football hold style). The question is whether it's necessary or if I should just let it dry up.

What would you do?

I want to continue nursing as long as she wants to by the way. But when I pump wean, we'll really be down to just one-sided nursing!

Default Re: Left side is drying up at 10 months - what do I do?

Its really up to you. But keep in mind that you could get mastitis or a blocked duct in the good side and it would be nice to have a back up. That said, I had a bad blockage and infection in my left side that left damaged tissue and always had low supply on that breast. My right was the super-producer and my kids had no problems. I didn't have to pump though, so it wasn't an issue. Moms with twins nurse two babies with two breasts, so you should have no problem nursing 1 baby with 1 breast. You will just be lop-sided. I have been nursing on one side since about 16 months I think and my daughter turns four next week. She simply says "There is no milk in there." Haha.
    I would also try natural ways to increase your supply like fenugreek, oatmeal, and mother's milk tea.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Also, has your period returned? It could be responsible for the lower supply.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

i agree with PP, and will also just add that those 2 months between 10 and 12 are pretty long ... that's still a lot of pumping in front of you. if you were at 11 or 11.5, i might be more inclined to say, yeah, just give up on the left. but with 2 months, i'd personally keep going on both.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks for the advice!

No my period isn't back . I wish it were. Want to get pregnant again.

I just spent a weekend working on it and supply seems up overall but still lopsided.

Oh well. I'll keep working on it at least the next couple months.

Thanks!

My left has always produced less than my right. It's been this way through all 3 of my babies. DD3 also doesn't like the left much, she has to work harder to get less. I try to nurse her on it from time to time. I mostly get her to dream nurse on the left at night. When we go to bed she'll nurse on it, in the middle of the night and in the morning. My philosophy has always been that some milk is better than no milk. So get what you can from it, use it, try nursing at night.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and