Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply now with decreased weight gain. What to do?

Default Oversupply now with decreased weight gain. What to do?

Hi ladies! You always give good advice and put my mind at ease. I am concerned about dd weight. She was born at 7 lbs 5 oz. I quickly realized I had oald/os. At her one month check up she was 9 lbs. 6 oz. At her 2 month she was 10 lbs. 11oz. At her 4 month now she was 12 lbs. 11 oz. This is not terrible I know, but I don't want it to get terrible. We have done everything possible to lower my supply. I have posted on this previously. We nurse laying down, every 2 hours and 1-2 dream feeds a night. Her diapers are not nearly as wet. She still has greenish yellow mucous stools. We take reflux meds(zantac). I am not convinced we have reflux. She asks hungry constantly and never seems satisfied. Lots of spitting up, but has gotten better. I think the os might be marginally better. My questions are what could be going on and secondly those who had oversupply did you deal with decreased weight gain. Could it be she is not gaining well due to too much fore milk? I give two feeds in a row on same breast. I tried longer blocks, but makes her so uncomfortable. I have spent the better part of 4 months in tears and worrying. With my first baby we had worked out our issues by 3 months. Any help appreciated.

Default Re: Oversupply now with decreased weight gain. What to do?

Oay, first of all I see no reason to be concerned about her weight. She's more or less hovering around the 50th percentile, and has been since birth. (See chart: http://kellymom.com/images/growth/growthcharts.gif). In the last month or so she's dropped down a bit, which is typical for breastfed babies in the 4-6 month range- as they become more mobile and devote more calories to things like kicking, reaching, rolling, pre-crawling, etc., they tend to lean out and drop a few percentiles. (For example, my own kids went from the 95-99th percentile at 2-3 months to the 75-85th range at 4-6 months.). If your doc still uses the outdated charts for formula-fed babies, your LO may appear to be dropping percentiles faster than she really is, because formula-fed babies tend to increase their rate of weight gain as they get older, while breastfed babies do the opposite.

Aside from green poops, what evidence of oversupply/OALD are you seeing right now? The reason I ask is that generally babies whose moms have OS/OALD gain weight quite quickly, and at this point your LO seems to be slowing down a bit. It may be time to transition to feeding on both breasts at a feeding, or at least shorten up your blocks. When a baby seems hungry and unsatisfied after finishing one breast, it's often a sign that she now needs both breasts when she nurses.

One thing you should not worry about is that a diet high in so-called "foremilk" is causing your baby to not gain weight. OS/OALD tends to result in very rapid weight gain, despite the fact that baby's diet consists of a higher proportion of lower-fat (but not low fat or no-fat!) milk. In general, when a baby has trouble gaining weight what matters is not the quality of mom's milk, but the quantity. And babies whose moms have OS/OALD tend to get a very high quantity.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"