I am a Canadian currently visiting my husband in France. I'm a exclusively breastfeeding mother of a 9-week-old baby. Hubby is currently working on his dissertation, making me responsible for more work, hence stress and mastitis. This is my first time having mastitis. I hesitate tobecause a doctor because I do not want antibiotics for fear of thrush. Also I am not covered by insurance for now. Another reason is that I don't speak a lot of French; if I did not bump into a breastfeeding-friendly doctor I'm afraid he'll tell me to stop BF on this side.I had a fever that came and went away repeatedly for about twenty hours, and a lump in the affected breast that only hurts when I touch.I have tried to rest more, apply heat, massage, nurse baby more frequently. But the fever is gone and I can't tell whether the lump is getting bigger or smaller. I still have a headache but feel normal instead of lethargic like before. My question is should I head in right away to avoid the lumps becoming abscesses or is it safe to wait and see how it progresses?
Thank you very much.