Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping question

Question Pumping question

Hello--
    I have been pumping at work since I came back in April and my supply seems to be pretty much the same from when I had started. Im getting 1.5 to 2 oz at each session. Does this sound right or should I be getting more?

Default Re: Pumping question

A few questions: How old is your baby? How much ebm does your baby take while you are at work? How often and how long do you pump? What kind of pump do you use?

Generally, I would say if your pumping output is keeping up with your baby's intake (plus a little extra ideally), that is a good amount. If not, consider adding a pumping session or lengthening your sessions. Make sure you are getting enough to eat and drink. I personally pump in the morning before I leave for work, 1-2 times at work, and sometimes once in the evening after baby is in bed. My baby is 2.5 months, she takes 8-12 ounces while I am out, and I pump more than she takes.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Hello—

My baby is 5 ½ months right now and I am not pumping enough for her for the day. I get a 5oz bottle for her now and she is supplemented with 1 or 2 formula bottles a day with the sitter. She also has a bowl of oatmeal. I think my biggest thing is the water intake. Its not easy when you are working in a busy office 

My LO use to sleep through the night and I was able to pump once during the night but that is just not the case right now. She is up a couple times a night.

My pumping output increased tremendously when I started "meditating" during my pumping sessions. Turns out I'm extremely sensitive to stress; when I'm trying to rush the process I don't get nearly as much.

That may or may not be a factor for you, just something to consider along with what PPs say!
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Wow.. I have heard that helps and maybe I will try it. It does seem like I have to hurry since Im in the office bathroom 

Im going to google how to meditate! haha

Do they have anywhere else you can use? Depending on the size of your company they may be legally obligated to provide you with a private spot that is not a bathroom. (and nationally speaking, the affordable care act actually requires employers to provide this - exceptions may be made for employers with under 50 employees if the provisions create an undue hardship on the company)

(I wouldn't be able to relax in a bathroom either!)

That’s the thing… we are an office of 8 people… I work for an insurance company but employed by the agent so I don’t think he has to provide the room for me. Sucks but… it is what it is… I try not to rush myself and I ask everyone in the office before go in if they need to use the restroom before I go in but still… Hard to be in there.. Its chilly and bright.. Not sure what else I could do though….

How long are you away from your baby? How many times are you pumping during that time?

I wonder if your baby may be drinking too much. Usual guidelines are 1-1.5oz per hour. For many breastfed babies, a 5oz bottle is too much.

Are you close enough that you can leave over lunch to nurse?
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alysandrasmom View Post
    That’s the thing… we are an office of 8 people… I work for an insurance company but employed by the agent so I don’t think he has to provide the room for me. Sucks but… it is what it is… I try not to rush myself and I ask everyone in the office before go in if they need to use the restroom before I go in but still… Hard to be in there.. Its chilly and bright.. Not sure what else I could do though….
    Is there a clean storage closet in your building? I donno, I mean I would prefer a closet to a bathroom!!!
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Im away from my baby from 7:30 in the morning to 5:30 or 7.. depending on the day. I figured that 5oz Was too much but after she has her bottle she is so upset and acts like she is still hungry so we increased it to 5oz and she still gets hungry after that… Is the 1-1.5 oz rule the same for formula babies as well? My LO is 5 ½ months and barely weighs 10 pounds (6.2 lbs when born)… There are a couple days a week that I am able to go home and nurse for lunch but the other days, Im about 30 minutes away... But if my calculations are right, she should be having 15oz of milk a day while Im gone... Which is right if she is doing 3 5oz bottles... but Im not pumping that much a day... Im only getting 5oz.. MAYBE 6oz... But if a 5oz bottle is too much, how can I get her bottle size down without her throwing a fit for more?

And, no other room really for pumping... unless someone isnt here for the day and I can use their office...
    Last edited by @llli*alysandrasmom; August 23rd, 2012 at 11:34 AM.