Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Mastitis, should I head in to see a doctor right away

  1. #1

    Post Mastitis, should I head in to see a doctor right away

    I am a Canadian currently visiting my husband in France. I'm a exclusively breastfeeding mother of a 9-week-old baby. Hubby is currently working on his dissertation, making me responsible for more work, hence stress and mastitis. This is my first time having mastitis. I hesitate tobecause a doctor because I do not want antibiotics for fear of thrush. Also I am not covered by insurance for now. Another reason is that I don't speak a lot of French; if I did not bump into a breastfeeding-friendly doctor I'm afraid he'll tell me to stop BF on this side.I had a fever that came and went away repeatedly for about twenty hours, and a lump in the affected breast that only hurts when I touch.I have tried to rest more, apply heat, massage, nurse baby more frequently. But the fever is gone and I can't tell whether the lump is getting bigger or smaller. I still have a headache but feel normal instead of lethargic like before. My question is should I head in right away to avoid the lumps becoming abscesses or is it safe to wait and see how it progresses?
    Thank you very much.
    Many thanks,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: Mastitis, should I head in to see a doctor right away

    Welcome to the forum!

    If you are no longer feeling sick- no fever, no chills, no whole-body aches and pains, no "flu-like" symptoms- and you're not seeing red patches or streaks on the exterior of the breast, I think you can operate under the assumption that you have beaten back the mastitis and probably do not need to see a doctor. Keep up the frequent nursing and massage, and do lots of soaking in warm water. Hopefully the lump- which is probably a very nasty plugged duct- will soon disappear.

    However, I encourage you to see a doctor and get a prescription for antibiotics just in case the mastitis comes roaring back. You don't want to be trying to deal with bad mastitis over a weekend. And you don't need to take the antibiotics- but you do want the option.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Mastitis, should I head in to see a doctor right away

    edit-posted same time as mommal sorry for any repetition- I cannot advise you medically but I would suggest that you do not want to mess around with mastitis. If fever is gone and does not return and you quickly eliminate all symptoms, you may be ok. But any return of fever or if you cannot eliminate the other symptoms quickly-in 24-48 hours-you really may need the anti biotics.

    Taking Anti biotics does not mean you will get thrush. It increases the possibility, but unless you know you are prone to thrush or yeast infections it is not that big a concern. You can take probiotics to help ward it off, and in any case, mastitis is potentially way more serious than thrush.

    if you are told to stop nursing due to mastitis, that is incorrect medical advice and you are free to ignore it.

    mastitis articles- http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/ and http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...atcanyoudo.pdf and http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro..._4mastitis.pdf -this last one is written for doctors

  4. #4

    Default Re: Mastitis, should I head in to see a doctor right away

    thanks for the welcome and the tips!

    I ended up staying at home, compressing and massaging a lot + feeding on all fours. Didn't really want to head out for a trip that may result with not being seen by a doctor, it's summer vacation time for the French so I can't find a GP, and I'm not sure about hospitals near us since they won't pick up phone. Feel dizzy and headache all afternoon but got better again by evening, and hubby swears that the lump feels smaller. I can't tell, but that sure makes me feel more hopeful!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Mastitis, should I head in to see a doctor right away

    hey thanks for the reply! The fever hasn't returned and I have not gotten any other alarming symptoms, hopefully everything will subside entirely very soon. I had a massive case of thrush throughout this pregnancy, it was a nightmare...so I'd avoid antibiotics as much as possible, but not at the expense of getting abscesses on baby's food bags of course :\ keeping close eye on this, thanks again for advice!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts