Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 3 month old baby doesn't comfort nurse

Default My 3 month old baby doesn't comfort nurse

I took my daughter in for a shot visit today and tried nursing to calm her down, and she wasn't having it. It broke my heart that I couldn't soothe her. I gave her a pacifier and it calmed her down some, and my husband held her, and she was fine. I'm pretty sure it's because I have an overactive letdown. Literally, she was screaming, and milk was shooting from my breast into her face. That doesn't sound soothing, right? My left breast (the super producer) was slightly engorged this morning, but since we had to wake her up earlier than usual, I figured it was OK because I'd be able to nurse her at the doctor. I guess that was probably my mistake.

Anyway, my daughter often struggles at the breast, and usually I notice it midday around lunch. I work away from home, and my husband bottle feeds pumped milk in the morning and afternoon. She struggles with breastfeeding at lunch, and then it's usually okay when I get home in the evenings (though not always). I let her nurse side-lying from around 3 or 4 AM until I get up for work around 7:45. Usually that's okay, though sometimes she struggles with gas and spitup if I don't sit up and burp her.

So, this morning's feeding at the doctor wasn't typical of her feeding schedule, but it just makes me so sad when she fights it, and I haven't really seen milk squirt into her face since maybe the first month when my breasts were still engorged. I've been confused about the lunchtime feedings lately, almost wondering if I didn't have a letdown because she'll latch on and start pulling and kind of growling and moaning like she's not getting anything. Then she arches her back and fusses like she's in pain. This fussiness at lunch is a little more recent. I think I've gone through that 3 month hormone shift because my breasts are finally a little less swollen, and my left breast which is normally like Old Faithful is a lot less leaky, so I've worried that my supply or let down has been affected. But now I'm wondering if I always have an overactive letdown. I can't feel my letdown, so that makes thinks harder to decipher.

I'm not sure what to do since we've made it to 3 months, and my supply is supposed to have regulated itself. I'm also petrified of doing something to make it go away since my sister had supply issues.

I am feeling like a failure of a mom since I can't soothe my sweet baby at my breast when she needs it.

Default Re: My 3 month old baby doesn't comfort nurse

For some of us, supply just doesn't settle down that quickly. At 9 months here, and I still have crazy forceful letdown, though I am seeing improvement, slowly. Sometimes oald and os are a couple steps forward and a step back process. I don't remember when all the growth spurts happen but I sometimes notice that I am back to feeling overfull or leaky or ffld-y for a few days after my son has been nursing extra due to teeth or bumps on the head or whatever... Have you tried reclined positioning at least for the nursings that are the hardest for her? For a while when he was around 4 months, I was doing side-lying for every single nursing, day or night and it really helped.
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

I never thought about the fact that extra feedings lead to overfull boobs, but that makes sense. I pump during the week, usually twice a day, and I try to exclusively breastfeed on weekends. I think that variation in schedule confuses my supply maybe? I was dealing with a lot of plugged ducts for a while when I went back to work that usually started on weekends, but I've been taking lecithin, which seems to help. There is supposed to be a growth spurt around 3 months. I think she went through one a week or two ago because she was sleeping more and pooping and spitting up less. This week, she's had lots of diapers and spit-up, and she's sleeping less, so it may be that the growth spurt got my supply going, and maybe my letdown is more forceful because of it?

I have tried the laid back method, but that doesn't seem to work. I don't know if it's because she doesn't quite have enough control of her body yet to be comfortable or what. Side-lying usually works, although she does that weird growl and pull thing every now and then. I just tried it at lunch, and it did seem to calm her down. Poor girl is really fussy after those shots. I may start doing the side lie at lunch from now on. It's a good way for both of us to get a little rest midday. I feel so much better knowing we got some special time together over my lunch break instead of going back to work all flustered and sad about her fussing at my boob.

Shots are definitely no fun for anyone involved. I'm glad your lunch nursing was more relaxing. I found months 3-5 to be the hardest for me. Baby was clearly becoming opinionated, doing weird seeming things, but I was having a hard time understanding him, and he still needed constant holding and attention. Then when he started moving, sitting, crawling, now it seems like we finally get each other (more or less) and things aren't quite so confusing, or if they are I chalk it up to a phase...that's probably what the growling and pulling is. For us the laid back worked best when he was very tiny, and then we did the side lying thing for a while once he got too heavy and distracted, and now that he's crawling and cruising, pretty much anything goes. Just do whatever works until it doesn't work anymore, right?
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

What kind of weight gain are you seeing? And how many wet diapers are you seeing in a day?

Way too lazy for formula

My LO doesn't comfort nurse either. She's 3 months and 3 weeks. She won't even nurse to sleep unless it's the middle of the night and I get her while she's rooting around, but before she fully wakes up.

She is gaining pretty well. She was 7lb 13oz at birth, and as of yesterday, she was 12lb 13oz, so 5 lbs in 3 months. She's gained 2 lbs for each of the past 2 months. She had a tongue tie that we got fixed at 2 weeks, so it might have had an affect early on, but she still gained weight then even. I do feel like she's at a point now where it's just a constant puzzle. I'm always trying to figure out whether what she is doing is normal or whether I should be concerned. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's gone through that. Still wish she would comfort nurse more, but she seems happy and healthy in general, so I guess I can't ask for a lot more.

Oh, and wet diapers, I don't know exactly, but it's a lot! We do cloth, and she does not like wetness on her skin. I'd say probably more than 12 a day.

Hang in there, mama! We had similar problems and all I can say is that it does get better. It did take longer than the usual three months for my supply to regulate (and we did do some block feeding to help), but it did even out. I was also really worried about interfering with things and then decreasing my supply. I would certainly not do anything before 12 weeks/3 months, but we did find mild block feeding (one breast only for all feeds in 3 hours) after that to be helpful.

I still have a strong letdown, but now (at 9 months) the baby prefers that breast! He gets frustrated when the milk is slow. He's gotten more adept at dealing with it and loves to nurse, for nutrition, comfort, closeness and play! I know that doesn't make it easier now, but don't be discouraged--it will get better!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessicaruthie View Post
    She is gaining pretty well. She was 7lb 13oz at birth, and as of yesterday, she was 12lb 13oz, so 5 lbs in 3 months. She's gained 2 lbs for each of the past 2 months. She had a tongue tie that we got fixed at 2 weeks, so it might have had an affect early on, but she still gained weight then even. I do feel like she's at a point now where it's just a constant puzzle. I'm always trying to figure out whether what she is doing is normal or whether I should be concerned. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's gone through that. Still wish she would comfort nurse more, but she seems happy and healthy in general, so I guess I can't ask for a lot more.
    No I don't think you can. You are getting GREAT weight gain, so what's the point in stressing. We all have bad days. And the days of shots for babies are ususally among them. You aren't reporting anything that is cause for alarm. And nursing is not the only way a mother offers compfort. You go to her when she cries and pick her up and comfort her and love her. Every day is not going to go the way you want. But keep your focus on the big picture. You are providing your child the best nutrition possibly. And even a fussy cranly HEALTHY baby is better than the alternative. Don't stress mama. Learn to let go of what you can't control. Just continue to offer your breast whenever and wherever needed. If it's not taken, then move onto OTHER comforting techniques.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessicaruthie View Post
    Oh, and wet diapers, I don't know exactly, but it's a lot! We do cloth, and she does not like wetness on her skin. I'd say probably more than 12 a day.
    So it DEFINITELY sounds like she is getting enough!

Way too lazy for formula