Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight issue

Default Weight issue

So, I have been having a problem getting my baby girl to put on some weight. When she was born, she was 6lbs 2.5oz and now she is just at 10lbs… She is 5 ½ months old… I have increased her intake, supplemented with formula, and added cereal and other solids to her diet but she just wont put on weight… Anyone out there have some pointers?

Default Re: Weight issue

I'm sorry you are having this problem. I am sure you are worried and feeling anxious. I don't really have any ideas; hopefully some other mums will chime in. But, I am wondering: are you feeding on demand or on a schedule? Could you tell us a bit more about when she eats and what? How is she doing otherwise? Is she alert, active, developmentally on track? Also, here is a link to an article on kellymom about weight gain and charts and the breastfed baby: http://kellymom.com/health/growth/growthcharts/

Good luck.

Hello
    I am feeding her on demand. I always have. She has a mixture of breastmilk, cereal and sometimes formula. Other than the weight, she is happy, alert, active and developing just fine and on track! Thats whats so crazy... Its just her weight thats slow..

Which chart are they using? The CDC or the WHO BF baby one? Makes a big difference.

And someone has to be at the lower end of the curve. Maybe you have a petite girl.

Has your doctor expressed any concern? Sometimes they get worked up over nothing, but that is a place to start.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My daughter has always been at the 0.2 percentile (yes, you see the decimal point) on the WHO breastfeeding growth chart since she was a month old. Per our pediatrician, What matters is not the actual weight itself but rather her reaching developmental milestones in an average range (also not an exact science), her hydration levels (evidenced by wet & poopy diapers), and the PATTERN of growth. In other words, weight is just one factor to consider. For example, if yours has always been at the 96 percentile but suddenly dropped to 5 percentile AND has some changes in her developmental milestones, then you MAY have reason for concern.

My husband & I are both short people so we should expect to have a petite baby. In fact my husband was below the 1 percentile as an infant too & I promise he is not scrawny now. so my 23-month old wears 6-18mo sized clothes. It was fun to mess with people when she started walking at 13 months but looked like a 7 month old. *wink*. And my friend whose twin girls are both in 50th & 34th percentile are really not much bigger than my child.

Work with your pediatrician but if you are concerned OR feel like everything is fine when your dr doesn't, feel free to get a second opinion.

My daughter was 6lb 12oz at birth and just hit 10lbs at 6 months. She is now 9.5m and 15lbs. She had a huge growth spurt in the last 3.5 months! Make sure they are using the WHO charts and follow your instincts. If baby is having the proper wet and dirty diapers (mine only had a dirty diaper every 7-10 days until we started solids and her GI said it was normal) and is developmentally on track, let the baby nurse as much as they want to and don't worry unless they are losing weight.

Thank you so much for the advice! I do feel alot better to know that Im not the only one with this problem... I found out this past week that when I was a year old, I weighed 19 pounds! My mom said that it freaked people out when I was walking at 10 months and looked like a 6 month old I was worried because I had asked a question on here and got an email response and they were asking if my baby was sick or born premature... Said she should be double her weight already... freaked me out! But the doc hasnt shown any concerns... said she is moving up the chart and was healthy.. She is hitting milestones normally and will be crawling pretty soon.. Thanks again ladies

Glad you found some help I am struggling with a "smaller" child as well. KatieBug weighed 16.6 pounds and was 29 inches tall at her one year check up. The doctor of course recommended whole milk and then she gave me a meal plan (typical for a one year old).........how does one that age eat so much!? I can't get my daughter to stop to eat. She has an older child to run after so I guess that makes the difference.
    Taylor Don 10/24/98-11/22/98
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

I feel ya! My DD weighed in at just under 14 lbs at her 6 month checkup. She was 8 lbs 1 oz at birth, so definitely not small. She has always been a slow grower, though in the beginning she definitely had a latch problem associated with tongue tie. I still worry about her weight, but at 7.5 months shes crawling like mad, pulling to stand, talking, clapping and doing all sorts of stuff. She BFs every 2 hours during the day + some solids and every 3-4 at night. I can't get any more food into her! But she still gains slowly. I think she is just really active so she burns off calories quick, plus I think I have a fast letdown so she gets more "skim" milk than high cal milk, but I don't think there is anything I can do about that. She is just a big ball of muscle instead of a chubby baby, which is probably better in the long run anyways. She's got a cousin who is 11 weeks younger and so hopped up on formula that he is HUGE and can barely move! I'll take my little any day

I just posted about weight concerns myself. I'm relieved that I'm not the only one going through this. My guy is 4.5months and 11lbs. It's nerve wracking even though it seems they're all doing great in every other area.

We have a paediatrician appointment on Friday so we'll see what he says.