Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freaking out..

Default Freaking out..

This morning, I woke up and cannot seem to have a let down for my LO. I've had supply issues in the past and am on domperidone. I supplement but, only 2 oz a day. Lately, she has been sleeping larger chunks in the night and I have been letting her. I wonder if I've damaged my supply.

I usually wake up kind of full feeling and she has a good feeding. This morning, I've got nothing. I know it's normal to feel empty, so, it's not that that I'm worried about. It's that I cannot pump or hand-express even a drop and LO will not nurse. This is very unusual for us..especially in the a.m. Will my milk come back? Help me not stress! The only thing I can think of is that maybe she emptied me out during a dream feed early this morning?

She'll be 8 weeks old on Saturday and even though it's been a struggle (tongue tie clipped, lazy nurser, etc) I thought we were doing better!

Thanks for your help.
    S.

Default Re: Freaking out..

Keep nursing. Is she even trying? Maybe she isn't that hungry right now?

But yes, the long periods of time have probably dropped your supply, but all is not lost. Nurse more.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Just nurse, nurse, nurse, and watch baby's diaper output. As long as she continues to have adequate wet diapers, she is getting milk even if it doesn't feel like it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She will either latch on and fall asleep, slip off or just sit there. And after I keep trying for a while, she screams at me. I tried to nurse her almost constantly today (put the toddler in front of some Dora ) but, it was nearly impossible. I pumped some more and could not pump a drop. (I can usually pump about 2 oz total) Really scared that this is it. I guess I will try to nurse her every 2 hours tonight.

Mama, you sound so freaked out!

Have you recently gone on hormonal birth control? Sometimes that can cause an abrupt supply reduction- almost always remediable by removing the birth control and choosing some other method.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No, no birth control here. The only things I can think of are the fact that I don't wake her up as often and I haven't been drinking a ton of water. Could dehydration kill my supply overnight?

I nursed her off and on all night last night and things do seem to be picking up a little. Learned my lesson, for sure. My supply is too fragile to let her sleep 4 hours at a time at night! Kind of stinks.