Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding Help for Teen Mom

Default Breastfeeding Help for Teen Mom

My cousin is 18 and has a 1-week old little girl. She is nervous she is not getting enough and is thinking of quitting already. How do I get her support? I'm trying to help as much as I can but I think she needs additional encouragement.

Default Re: Breastfeeding Help for Teen Mom

In no particular order:
    - refer her to her local La Leche League
    - help her find a breastfeeding-friendly pediatrician
    - send her to this forum and to Kellymom.com
    - refer her to a good lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC
    - if she's on WIC, have her contact them and ask for breastfeeding support- they have peer counselors, they distribute breast pumps
    - get her some good books about breastfeeding, like The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, and make sure she knows which books are likely to sabotage her (BabyWise, the Baby Whisperer)
    - help her with non-baby things- drop by with some frozen meals, offer to walk her dog, throw in a load of laundry, etc. the more time she has to focus on baby, the more likely that she will persevere.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She is very unlikely to read and I'm not sure she has internet access beyond her phone. I will refer her to this forum if she does.

BTW, I do an E.A.S.Y. schedule per The Baby Whisperer and have been successfully & exclusively breastfeeding for over 7 months and going strong.

I'm glad it's working for you. This review explains why I personally give it a thumbs down, particularly for brand-new, struggling moms: http://kellymom.com/parenting/review...babywhisperer/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would add to mommals list that, if she is still in hs, some high schools have support groups or help for nursing moms. And some hospitals have new mom groups, but you may want to make sure it is a breastfeeding supportive atmosphere.

And I would say again, encourage her to call a local (or any) LLL Leader. Or maybe call ahead for her to make sure a Leader is available for help calls & sounds good to you so she does not get discouraged by getting a dead end. Many moms feel 'weird' about calling a volunteer Leader at home, but there is probably nothing more positively impactful for a mom who is having doubts than to talk with someone who has experience in how to reassure a mom and help her pinpoint any issues and offer suggestions without overwhelming mom with info. And really, phone is so much better for good communication in these situatons than is online, but if she is only comfortable with online there is that too.

Even if she is not on WIC, WIC may have assistance for her, it depends on how they are funded. In my county, the WIC lactation consultants can see any mom who needs help.

Point out to her how breastfeeding helps HER. Convenience, weight loss, it's free. Let her know most new moms struggle in the early days but things rapidly get easier typically. Remind her her body was made to breastfeed just as it was made to carry a child. I have found that many young moms (and moms of all ages who perhaps feel uncertain or are getting lots of "input" from thier families) like the idea that breastfeeding is like a super power-and it is empowering for them. It is something unique and special only they can do for thier baby.

Here is an article about teen moms and breastfeeding. it is written for the breastfeeding helper, not the mom. http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvmarapr90p19.html