Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: biting

Default biting

She's gotten me 4 times today. She is teething for sure, but holy cow, she's killing me!
    Each time I've said "no biting" (and once I said it pretty loudly because it REALLY hurt) but she just sort of looked at me like "dude, what's your problem."
    I ended the nursing session, but she seriously didn't seem to care.
    Call me Trish!
    Robbie, born at 26w2d on 5/31/08. EPed 15 months. He was G-Tube fed until just before his 3rd birthday. He now knows the joy of food and drink by mouth!
    Charlotte born 11/12/11 at 35w2d. Blissfully feeding her from the tap since birth.

Default Re: biting

You're doing the right things! Keep doing them- it may take some time before baby gets the picture that biting = end of nursing, and that's not what she wants.

Babies often nip at the end of feedings, when they are no longer hungry and are simply horsing around at the breast. You might want to be extra alert for your baby's satiation cues- you might want to take her off the breast when she's done eating, before she starts playing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: biting

SHe actually seems worse when she latches on or if she starts to slide off. Like she's using them to "get a grip." (worse at night when she nods off and then realizes she almost let go..)
    Holy cow, it's rough, though.
    Call me Trish!
    Robbie, born at 26w2d on 5/31/08. EPed 15 months. He was G-Tube fed until just before his 3rd birthday. He now knows the joy of food and drink by mouth!
    Charlotte born 11/12/11 at 35w2d. Blissfully feeding her from the tap since birth.