Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop that looks like pesto?

Default Poop that looks like pesto?

I posted recently about my daughter fussing and pulling off of the breast often during feedings, as well as having green poops. I think my oversupply is to blame. I've been block nursing (4-5 hour blocks), but I'm not sure my supply is regulating much at all...

Anyway, a friend mentioned the possibility of a dairy sensitivity (because I'd seen some green mucous poops with stringy mucus), so I've been off of big dairy products since Sunday. I'm still eating dairy that's hidden in things, but no straight cheese/milk/yogurt/etc. Just wanted to see if that helped.

Her fussiness and pulling off during feedings has been better the last couple of days, but her poop is still green. It seemed like it was getting better and she was having more yellow ones mixed in, but today they've all been green. The last couple looked exactly like pesto.

My question: is green poop okay if she doesn't seem uncomfortable?

Default Re: Poop that looks like pesto?

As long as baby is growing well and isn't uncomfortable, green poop is fine.

Since you know you have oversupply, I would try my best to manage that before doing any sort of dietary elimination. One of the most common symptoms of oversupply is green poops, and oversupply is much, much more common than dairy sensitivity. It's quite normal for oversupply to take significant time to manage, and for a mom to feel as if she makes progress with her oversupply only to find that she slips back into making too much milk all over again. It's a "two steps forward, onestep back" sort of issue.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks mommal!

Oversupply issues can cause slower weight gain, correct? Because baby has to get through so much lower fat foremilk before the hindmilk? She's always gained well (1oz per day on average), but has only gained 1oz over the past 4 days. (I have an accurate baby scale from when my micropreemie son was an infant and he was failure to thrive). She is 9 weeks old today.

(I should add I also have tremendous anxiety around growth as a result of his challenges.)

Do you think I should stick with my current block schedule or increase it?

Just wanted to throw out there that my kiddo had pesto-looking poop (which stank horribly as well) after getting the rotavirus vaccine (gee, thanks for vaccinating him against... diarrhea).
    I would try not to worry about a slower gaining week if all the others have looked ok. Babies don't grow at a constant rate, so if you look too closely it could appear there's a problem where there's not.
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3kidsmama View Post
    Thanks mommal!

Oversupply issues can cause slower weight gain, correct? ....
    Do you think I should stick with my current block schedule or increase it?
    no, oversupply would NOT cause slower weight gain. typically the opposite.

On the other hand, Block feeding DOES reduce milk supply, that is what it is supposed to do. If a mom truly has oversupply, this can help. But of course, a too low supply would cause slow weight gain issues.

I do not think you need to worry about a few days of slower weight gain, at all. This can just happen and its fine. Babies do not typically gain steadlily an ounce every single day-rather, an overall gain that adds up to about an ounce a day is a general rule of thumb for good weight gain. In fact, I think daily or near daily weight checks are counterproductive for this reason. BUT
    If you have concerns about low supply or slow weight gain, I would suggest stop block feeding entirely.

Instead, try nursing frequently, on one side at a time, and try other ideas for forceful letdown, if you think that is part of the problem.

I suggest this excellent article about oversupply and forceful letdown. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

(BTW-one sign of baby not getting enough milk are scant (small amounts) of kind of dry, dark green poops. If there is lots of poop or a normal amount of poop, and its wettish but green, that is fine as far as input goes.)

I don't think I have a low supply. She has good wet diapers and typically has multiple poopy diapers daily. They range in color from yellowish green to pesto green. (yesterday there were 2-3 pesto colored ones) They're all good sized. My breasts feel full most of the day, of course more full early than later. I often leak from the breast she isn't feeding from, she usually has milk around her mouth, etc.

The womanly art of breastfeeding says one sign of oversupply is a baby who gained well and then slowed way down. I thought that was because of hAving to work through so much of the "soup" foremilk before getting to the "cheesecake" hindmilk...

One of the things that drives me nuts about the whole "foremilk/hindmilk" concept is the idea that foremilk doesn't have what a baby needs to grow. That it's skim milk, and no matter how much a baby drinks of it, he/she won't grow well because he/she isn't getting that creamy hindmilk. Which isn't how it works- a baby could drink nothing but "foremilk" and still grow well, provided she got enough of it.

Instead of thinking "foremilk = skim" and "hindmilk = cream", it can help to think of it as "foremilk = relatively lower in fat" and "hindmilk = relatively higher in fat". And remember that the transition from foremilk to hindmilk is gradual- there's no abrupt switch from low fat to high fat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So then, if there turns out to be a true slowdown in her weight gain (aside from normal slowdown that should occur in the next couple months), it's likely because my oversupply has moved into low supply, as opposed to it being a sign of her taking in too much foremilk from the oversupply?

Can you help me figure out if I should still be blocking, then? She's having 6+ good wet diapers a day, had 6 poopy diapers yesterday (ranging from greenish yellow to straight, pesto green). She doesn't cough or splurged during feedings anymore, but she usually has milk surrounding her mouth during and after feedings. This is all with 4-5 hour block nursing.

Continue on as we're going and look at weight gain again in a few weeks? Stop block nursing and go back to alternating breasts at each nursing (she's always Filled up on one breast).

I'm feeling confused at the oversupply page in the art of breastfeeding book. Talking about going from great gaining to slow gaining being a sign of oversupply....

Thanks for your help!!!

First, I suggest you take a breath and try to relax. This is why I am usually opposed to daily weight checks-they freak moms out unnecessarily. It sounds like your baby has been doing fine.

As far as what it says in the WAB- I assume you are talking about the 8th edition, which is the latest edition? page 485? you can find this section here as well:

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ggrimacing.pdf

In the list of possible symptoms of oversupply, it says '7. My baby is gaining rapidly, or grew fast at first with weight gain dropping as fussiness increased.'

I agree, this is a bit confusing! Here is what I think they are saying-some babies become so unhappy with the forceful letdown, that nursing is no longer pleasurable to them. They become so fussy they refuse to nurse or only nurse a very short time -until the fast flow at letdown makes them stop-or they nurse but very infrequently-and that-the breast refusal-is what could cause a slowing of weight gain. Also, some moms mistakenly think that spacing out feedings will help with oversupply and don't nurse baby frequently enough-again, causing a slowing in weight gain and, ironically, actually worsening the effects of oversupply.

If you read the entire section, you will see the authors make a point of explaining in detail the foremilk/hindmilk issue, but point out that despite any foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and differences in fat content ('soup' vs. 'cheesecake’) that can cause green stools or discomfort, baby still 'grows fine.'

I can not advise you specifically how to feed your baby or tell you if you should block feed or not, as that would be medical advice. You know much better than anyone else what is going on with your body and your baby. I will say, your baby's output sounds normal to me, which indicates baby is getting enough milk.

Here is why I suggested cutting back on the block feeding might be something to consider-I know that block feeding helps with oversupply, and it may be entirely warranted in your case. But I am a big believer that, in many cases, less severe oversupply or forceful letdown can be solved without 'true' block feeding, and instead by nursing more often and not timing feedings, and letting baby finish one side at a time (not switch nursing,) and changing up positioning if needed when baby is nursing. I also think many moms are overly concerned about oversupply somehow hurting baby. Oversupply and forceful letdown are only a problem for BABY if they are causing baby to dislike nursing or causing lots of gastrointestinal discomfort. (oversupply can also cause many problems for mom as well, engorgement and the related issues.) But many babies-and moms-do just fine with oversupply, even when they (the babies) poop green. I had/have oversupply with all three kids and never block fed, because my babies handled my level of oversupply fine without me needing too. But that is me, and you may have something different going on. I suggest you read the kellymom article again and the above info from the WAB again and do what feels right to you.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 23rd, 2012 at 07:43 PM.