Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green poops since the beginning of July

Default Green poops since the beginning of July

Hi, my 17 week old lo has been having green poops for almost 2 months now. First let me give you a little background. I have flat/inverted nipples. My son was not able to latch on and i decided to exclusively pump and feed him breast milk from a bottle. Everything seemed to be going great, he had normal yellow seedy stools and had at least 2 bms a day. I always tried to get him to latch and at 7 weeks I was able to get him to latch onto my right breast. My left nipple is severely inverted and I am still working on getting him to latch on that side. I had a horrible oversupply issue from pumping. I'm pretty sure I have it under control but my lo is still having green stools. He goes at least 5 times a day, they smell horrible and they are very mucousy. I cut out dairy August 3rd and have yet to see any improvement. So my question is, do you think I could still have a supply issue even though he only nurses on the right side all day long? My breast do not get engorged in-between feedings. The only time they feel full is when he sleeps 6 or more hours at night. I have talked to his pediatrician about this issue several times and they always tell me that it's normal. Is there something else I should be doing? I'm driving myself crazy over here

Default Re: Green poops since the beginning of July

Welcome to the forum!

It's possible that you still have some degree of oversupply. You don't need to feel engorged in order to have too much milk. It's also possible that you have normal supply, but that your baby's intestinal lining is taking some time to heal from the irritation dating to the time period when you did have oversupply. And it's also possible that the green poops are normal, or that they're being caused by some sort of intestinal bug, or that they're being caused by some sort of allergy. But honestly, I think the first or second scenarios are the most likely.

Don't let green poops get you down. As long as the baby is otherwise happy, healthy, and growing, green poops are not a big health issue, even if they are occasionally streaked or flecked with blood. They're something that your LO will grow out of.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the info. I feel like his situation is getting worse He is now going poop after every feeding. Is there any way to further decrease my supply? He only nurses on the same breast all day. Maybe I should try cutting out soy?

Pooping after every feeding is textbook normal for breastfed babies. Often putting something in at the top of baby's digestive system will stimulate him to move something out at the bottom.

Wen you say the situation is getting worse, what do you mean exactly? Is baby uncomfortable?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

He doesn't seem uncomfortable until he has to go. I'm just concerned that his stools are never yellow and they are never seedy. They are always bright green and slimy looking, they also have a terrible smell.

In that case I really, really wouldn't worry. In the absence of discomfort, poor growth, or allergy symptoms, green poops are just a variation of normal. Babies can have consistently green poops for months and months and months and it's not a problem. My second kid had poops that varied from spinach green to fluorescent green until she was around 6 months old and started solids (at which point her poop turned the color of whatever solids she was eating ), and she grew and developed just fine. In fact, better than fine, IMHO.

Thank you for your help. It made me feel better. He has been gaining weight and seems to be a very happy baby. Looking forward to starting solids so I can stop stressing over green poop