Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO doesn't want bottle from sitter during day--help?

Question LO doesn't want bottle from sitter during day--help?

I'm a teacher, so I got to BF all summer. I didn't even pump, not once. It rocked.

Well, now LO is 9mo old. I've been back at work for 2w now, pumping on my prep hour. She took the bottle crankily at first, then did ok. Now she's back on a bottle strike. She is eating table foods, 3 meals a day, including yogurt and cheeses. She's not going to starve, but...

How much BM should she be getting throughout the day? Is she ok with just around 3oz, which is all the sitter has been able to get down her today so far? I nurse her in the mornings, in the late afternoon and evenings, and usually 2-3x/night. Thanks so much.

ETA: I have lunch and then my prep hour, a block of time that is about an hour and 25 min long. If I HAD to, I could drive out and nurse her.
    Last edited by @llli*josiewales; August 29th, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Default Re: LO doesn't want bottle from sitter during day--help?

I think she's ok. What are your long term nursing goals? Have you tried giving her the milk in a regular cup? Or what about mixed in with her food? We did that with Lilah for a while to try and up her intake. What is she drinking during the day when she's not drinking your milk?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

She will drink some water, and that's it. She eats almost all solids but I could have the sitter up her baby food intake so she could mix the bmilk with it. That's a good idea.

Sitter tried the regular cup and she sips a little then just chews on the rim.
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

My DD never took a bottle well, and I went back to working 10-12hr shifts when she was 4 months old. She made up for the missed sessions at night. Since your daughter is 9 months old and eating solids, I think you will be fine. Even though she rarely drank my expressed milk, I kept pumping to help maintain my supply and prevent engorgement. I will admit that I grew to hate pumping knowing that most of the milk would never be used .

At this age you can try many things to get more breastmilk into baby if you are concerned-frozen breastmilk pop, breastmilk mixed into her food, breastmilk smoothie, different kinds of cups, straws, etc.

How does your sitter give the bottle? When? Does your baby ever fall asleep nursing? Do you think she might want to go to sleep taking the bottle? This (bottles to sleep) is often cautioned against, due to tooth decay concerns, but I wonder if in your situation it would help...it would only be once a day, or so, and as long as you are doing good dental hygeine otherwise-

basically i am thinkng that when a 9 month old is a reluctant nurser, nursing to sleep or when very sleepy, calm, etc, often helps, so maybe in this case it would help for bottles.
    can your sitter bring baby to you at lunch rather than other way around?

How many times a 24 hour day, overall, does baby nurse? if it is 7-8 times or more, and baby appears healthy and growing normally, then breastmilk during the day may be less important or even uneeded.