Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby has diarrhea--breastmilk vs. pedialyte?

Default Baby has diarrhea--breastmilk vs. pedialyte?

So my poor baby boy (nearly 10 months) has come down with his first bout of diarrhea 5 poopy diapers in the last 8 hours and not much appetite. He's had less than 2 ounces of milk since I left for work this morning, according to my mom. (He normally drinks 6-9 ounces while I'm gone). No vomiting, no obvious fever but she's going to check. Anyway, I'll be calling my pediatrician if this continues, but just wondering whether breastmilk or pedialyte is better to give to him in this situation? My thought is that breastmilk would be better, it has electrolytes and fluid as well as my antibodies which may help him fight off whatever this is. Mom is pushing the idea of giving him pedialyte. I don't object to that if he won't take my milk but am just wondering which is better for a breastfed baby with diarrhea?

Grrr. My mom gave him week-old chinese leftovers (beef) from the fridge yesterday for lunch, not realizing they were that old apparently. What would possess her to give a baby spicy hunan beef, I don't know. I'm pretty sure that's the culprit, though. She means well, but...

Default Re: Baby has diarrhea--breastmilk vs. pedialyte?

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Breastmilk is better, but don't be surprised if your pediatrician recommends Pedialyte. Many docs don't realize that the rules that apply to formula-fed babies (who are often given Pedialyte instead of or in addition to formula) do not apply to breastfed babies.

Breastmilk: proper electrolyte balance + antibodies + nutritional value + familiar and comforting taste
    Pedialyte: proper electrolyte balance, nothing else!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Breastmilk. Especially because the chinese food contains a lot of salt and could be contributing to the out of whack digestion. Hope he feels better soon.

Thank you all! That's what I thought, but just wanted to be sure. If for whatever reason he won't take my milk and he will take the Pedialyte, no harm in it right?

No, no harm in Pedialyte if baby won't drink your milk. But be sure to offer breastmilk first!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks to all for your advice. Joshua is doing better this morning, still with diarrhea but less liquidy and less often than before. I talked to his pediatrician who confirmed that Pedialyte wasn't necessary as long as he was nursing well, which he is (not that I don't trust you all, but I was a worried mama yesterday). I also had a chat with my mom about not giving any leftovers to DS without asking me first, so hopefully we won't be dealing with this again! Anyway, thanks.