Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I cut down on nursing??

Default Re: Do I cut down on nursing??

As long as she continues to nurse frequently- say 5 or more times a day? Then it's okay if baby eats a lot of solids. I agree that the amount of solids your LO eats is a lot, but some babies do make the transition to eating a lot of solids earlier than others do. The only thing I would watch for is self-weaning/nursing strikes- when a baby realizes she can get her needs met by consuming solids, she may decide to reduce or eliminate her nursing. Not that that sort of thing is common- but I do know one mom who had that experience with her kid. Because her LO was such a good eater when it came to solids, it was impossible to lure her back to the breast when she went on strike after a nasty bite and a shocked reaction from mom.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with the PP. Keep in mind of course that as she takes in more solids that you have to keep nutrition in mind. As more solids go in and there's less nursing, you have to make sure that the solids are balanced. Some fruits, some meats, veggies, some cheese / yogurt, etc. Mix it up!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

There is 17 months between my kids. I swear to goodness my little one eat more food than my big one by the time she was 10 months. He seemed to be surviving on air and age was eating like a horse and nursing like a newborn. She has consistently fluttered around the 25% for height and weight so it didn't make her fat or anything. She is still nursing and she is closer to 3 than I ever would have imagined nursing.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Amen to all of the above. This was my concern as well as I was given the same advice - more solids NB because milk no longer sufficient! Wish doctors would stop giving such bad advice...