Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I cut down on nursing??

Unhappy Do I cut down on nursing??

Hi, I am a Mommy to a 8mo old bf baby girl Recently we visited her Dr and we were discussing her lack of eating solids. Over the last month, she has refused eating food other than a bite hear or there. I started solids at 6mos with her, and she has NEVER even eaten a full jar of baby food at one sitting. Te Dr suggested that I quit mashing up her food because mabye it was the mushy texture she didnt like. We have since stopped using babyfood at lunch and dinner (she likes purees in her cereal in the morning) and give her pieces of whatever we are eating. it has worked the last two days, but, the Dr also recommended I back off of my nursings s that baby would be hungry for meals. I always tought it was ok to nurse on demand, and it was my understanding that babies could exclusively breastfeed for the first year. She is worried about her nutritional needs not being met by breastmilk alone at this point. Her iron has ben tested at our last WIC appt and she is fine, so I am confused...input please. I'm afraid weaning is going to be very difficult for the both of us when that time comes

Default Re: Do I cut down on nursing??

You are right. Your doctor is wrong. Breastmilk (or formula) should be the primary source of nutrition for the first year. Solids are just for fun and practice. It's really not a problem that she's not big on solids, many babies aren't. She'll pick it up eventually, there's no hurry.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

K, thanks whole bunches! I found it kind of odd for her to tell me this since, she herself nursed her babies! Well, I will keep doing what I'm doing. I just definetly didnt want her nutrition and growth to lack anything...

before 1 solids are for fun! Some kiddos aren't even interested until later.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*loveybugntootsmom View Post
    I'm afraid weaning is going to be very difficult for the both of us when that time comes
    with PPs. and there's no need for weaning to be difficult (at least for the baby) if it's done at a pace the baby is happy with! gradual weaning isn't hard or forced. there's no reason for there to be "a time" to do it
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

at the doc's advice. Your baby is perfectly happy and healthy, so why change everything? Why make feeding stressful, confrontational, and difficult?

It's totally normal for breastfed babies to not become particularly interested in solid food until well into their second year. As my pediatrician says, until age one solids are for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills only. They aren't nutritionally necessary.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My 8 month old eats a couple of bites of solids every few days. Keep nursing I say, she has her whole life to eat solids and breast milk is the best nutrition for her. My son was the same way and at almost 3 eats fine.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Nurse nurse nurse! My lo loves solids but still nurses as well all the time.. I would not cut back on nursing at all. I have a 11month old at the daycare I work at that has never ate baby food and you can't make her no matter how hard you try and she is perfectly healthy! Keep doing what you are doing if it isn't broke don't fix it

The first year is about discovery, not nutrition. Taste, temperature, texture, smell.... Your milk is nutritionally complete, like it has always been. So nurse first as always. If they eat a solid, fine. If they don't, fine. No big deal.

Both of my girls were slow to start solids. They didn't really start to eat solids until they were about 11ish months. They'll eat more when they're ready. There's no rush or advantage in starting solids earlier or increasing the amounts early. For the record, both of my girls are now champion eaters.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I have a question (not to derail this thread) but in the other direction...

My 10 month old is plenty big and healthy, nurses well (about 7x per day), and eats TONS of solids! Is there such a thing as too much solids? She's not fat or anything, but definitely big for her age. But her daddy and I are both tall people!

I'm doing as much baby led solids as I can - picking mostly fruits cut so she can self-feed. I also use jar baby foods and yugurt, but I always stop when she shows signs of disinterest. The thing is she can eat what seems to me like a lot of food in a sitting before losing interest.

For example - dinner = half a bananna, whole pear, 1 jar baby food, 1 baby yugurt. Maybe more...

Is that too much? Or am I safe to follow her lead on solids?