Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Period is back, LO is almost 10 months and breastfeeding

Default Period is back, LO is almost 10 months and breastfeeding

I guess I'm kind of surprised my period is back. I didn't miss it! DD does eat some solids (we delayed until she really wanted food and was grabbing for it at 8 months) but mostly she is primarily breastfed. I plan to extend breastfeed her and let her decide when she wants to stop (not for a long time I hope--I like nursing her). We bedshare and I hold her/wear her all day. She nurses a few times (several?) at night; I never really know since I'm half asleep when we do it. I've never done feeding on schedule; I nurse her often and when she wants. So why is my period here

Default Re: Period is back, LO is almost 10 months and breastfeeding

I think for some women it just happens that way, you didn't do anything "wrong" to make it come back. The average return of AF may be around 14 months, but your hormones don't know much about statistics
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

My period just came back too (9 months) and we too have BF'ed on demand, delayed solids, night and nap nurse, etc., etc. Such a bummer too. I really enjoyed being period free.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I was worried about this myself and had actually convinced myself he was weaning but actually I think my supply must have been affected/tasted bad. As soon as it stopped he is back on the boob like never before!

Me too. DS is nearly 10 months and I got my first post-partum period a few weeks ago, despite nursing on demand (and pumping at work). There was a week there where he was pretty much sleeping through the night (on his own, I haven't done any sleep-training) and I think that was what did it, for us. (Now he's back to his usual pattern of being up 1-3 times a night to nurse). I think the timing of your period returning just varies from mama to mama.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

Some moms have it come back right away despite everything, others don't have it return until months or years later.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Mine came back at 2 months!! And I nursed non-stop at that point!