Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Supply LOW!

Default Milk Supply LOW!

Hi, I have been BF for 4 months now, I went back to work when my son was 7 weeks and my milk supply was fine then...now today, I realized I don't think I have enough frozen milk to take to the sitters there are only 2 frozen packs!!! I don't know what exactly I should do, any advise???
    Last edited by @llli*d.watters; August 22nd, 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Default Re: Milk Supply LOW!

Hi mama

FYI, there is a whole subforum here just about low milk supply - seems to be a pretty common worry - so you might want to go read some of the threads there, I got lots of helpful information there so I'd recommend it

Are you working full time? And how often are you pumping (and how long is each session)? What kind of pump and have the parts been replaced recently?

Is your baby sleeping most of or all of the night? How often is he nursing every day?

I know it sounds like 20 questions but it's hard to give advice without more details.

Basically, when there is a low supply issue, the answer is usually that you need to nurse more and pump more, to stimulate the breasts to produce more. Certain pumping techniques (massage and hand expression) can be helpful as well, along with some foods and herbal supplements. But if you can give more info I'm sure some of the ladies here can give you more specific advice

I do work FT, 9 hours a day, I pump 3 times while at work for 10-15minutes, I have Medela Pump In Style Advanced & I have not replaced any of the parts. How often should they be changed? My LO will fall asleep @ 8ish then wakes up at 11 and my husband will bottle feed him what I have pumped, lately he has been so fussy crying for like an hour straight after tryingeverything to make him try and stop, he does eventually fall back to sleep between midnight and 130 until 730. I feed him once before I leave for work and I'd say 3 times after. I have been taking Fenugreek & drinking the Organic Milkmaid Tea. I will take a look at those threads, I'm new to this site so I haven't familiarized myself quite yet with it THANKS!

You'll want to change out the membranes at least - they're the flimsiest part of the equation so they need replacing most often. The first time I replaced mine it surprised me the change in suction! I replace mine every couple weeks, but I pump 3-5 times daily during the week, and a couple times on weekends. A lot depends on use.

Valves (the yellow things the membranes attach to) also need replacing fairly frequently, but not quite as often. Repeated on/off and washing can warp them a little bit and if they're not tight/flush then it can affect suction.

You may also need a different size flange for best results, but that's not something that should wear down with use, so that's a personal preference.

It sounds like you've hit a fussy patch, which is somewhat normal at his age, so hang in there.

The only thing I'd try that you're not doing (besides replacing parts) is getting up overnight to pump - if he's sleeping for up to 7 hours at a time, then that's a significant part of the day your breasts are getting the "no food needed" signal. It totally sucks to get up, but I think if you do that for a week (around 3 AM) you will hopefully see your overall supply start to rise, even if you don't get that much milk in that pumping session. I'm having a dip right now and added sessions before bed and about an hour before kiddo usually gets up, next step is an overnight one, it's worked really well for me in the past.

You probably need to also pump LONGER. Yes, you probably won't see any more milk, but you are creating exa demand at the breast and thus, eventually you make more milk.

Don't rely on the pump suction alone. Do massage too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!