Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How would you handle this?

Default How would you handle this?

DS is 4 months 1 week. We're waiting until 6 months until giving him any solids. I've been researching Baby-Lead Weaning and really like the idea of giving him food to decide for himself if he's going to eat it or not. I especially like the research that shows that BLW helps kids develop a healthy food/eating attitude; I don't think I would want someone spooning mush into my mouth if I wasn't into it yet!

Issue: As soon she found out we were pregnant, Grammy (my mom) bought us a Baby Bullet because she knows how "earthy" I am and would make our own baby food. DH is going away for a week of training in October, and she's coming to visit during that time and babysit while I'm working. We chatted on the phone today and she excitedly asked if we had started giving him food yet (to which I explained the whole wait-until-6-mo-for-their-instestines-to-line thing) and she said, "I'm just so excited for you to use the Baby Bullet!" and started going on about how much fun it'll be for me to make and puree carrots, etc.
    *sigh*

Now, we are a non-confrontational family. And I hate disappointing people.
    Would it be wrong of me to make some baby food for that week while she's here so she can "play" with him with it?
    WWYD?
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Default Re: How would you handle this?

If he's 6 months and you've started solids, I don't see anything wrong with letting her feed him some purees. Just don't let her be pushy about it or force the baby to eat if he doesn't want to. I'm doing mostly BLW, but do feed DS oatmeal from a spoon now and again, and he loves it! I spoon-feed him because he's not yet capable of spoon-feeding himself, and oatmeal isn't a good finger food, so if I want him to have it there's not really another option. (I like him to have the oatmeal because it's fortified with iron, and anyway, he likes oatmeal). I make sure that as soon as he shows he's not interested, I stop offering it, and I never push him to take more than he wants. It doesn't need to be all or nothing one way or the other. You won't be ruining your plan to do BLW just because you let him get occasional purees.

for me, the beauty of BLW is that it's easy. so if grandma really wants to come and make a bunch of purees for fun for a week, fine. i wouldn't jump in to make them, though! at 6 months it's not like your baby will suddenly want a whole lot of purees though - it'll just be a big mess

and the baby bullet can be used for adult foods, too, like smoothies, right? we use our bullet almost daily for smoothies.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Daddy is the only one around here that does purée with the kids. He never liked bottle feeding but when it came solids time he was all over it we just make sure we don't push it when baby isn't interested
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14
    born all natural 11/4/14

I wouldn't bother confronting. I'd let grandma play with the baby bullet, make a bunch of purees, thank her for her effort and her thoughtful gift, and then put it back on the shelf after she leaves.

If she asks if you're using using the BB, you can truthfully answer that baby is really enjoying self-feeding, so the BB isn't getting as much of a workout as anticipated. Isn't it funny how babies are their own little people, right from the beginning?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with pp. We did a combination of BLS and home-made purees with our children. It worked out really well. Some very healthy fruits and veggies are difficult for a LO to eat because they lack the teeth such as kale, spinach and chard. I also wanted the children to get used to food of different textures. Purees helped with that.

We do purees and finger foods, and I love our Baby Bullet! In fact, my daughter loves purees and is a little picky about what she'll eat with her hands (so much BLW foods are slippery and she gets mad). Since our family eats tons of pureed soup (a few times a week on occasion), it's actually been easy for us to do some purees along with some other foods she can pick up, often in the same meal. If you don't want it, I'm sure someone will happily by your Baby Bullet from you. You can always make smoothies and other things down the road if you decide to keep it.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Thanks for all the replies!

You made some good points about just not pushing it if he's not interested (which I'll make sure she knows to do), and (a DUH moment for me!) of course we can do a combination of finger-foods and purees. I tend to think in terms of all-or-nothing.
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

If you read the BLW book by Gill Rapley she talks about families who have successfully combined BLW and spoon feeding and she is the one who, literally, wrote the book on it

I think the main point of BLW is to be relaxed about the who issue. Don't worry if baby doesn't like spoons, don't worry if baby prefers spoons, don't worry about the amounts of solids, etc. So, don't worry!
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.