Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best bottle to use for BF baby? Suggestions needed

Default Best bottle to use for BF baby? Suggestions needed

So far I have tried the Tommee Tippee and the Medela wide base nipple that came with my milk storage bottles.

The Medela seems too "small" and pointy and he doesn't have to latch as wide open as he does on the breast.

The TT are better for the latch and very wide, but it seems like it comes out awfully fast and he chokes on the milk, even though i'm using the Size 1 slow flow nipples.

Any suggestions?? I am only giving him 1 bottle per day, but he is going to be in daycare soon when I return to work so I would like to find one that he likes soon...

thanks ladies!

Default Re: Best bottle to use for BF baby? Suggestions needed

We used breastflow!

It sounds like he's drinking from the bottles - so that's great! I used the Playtex Drop Ins with Trixie, with the widemouth naturalatch (sp?) nipples. We always used the newborn flow. It does come out fast. Have you seen the kellymom.com info on paced bottlefeeding? That might help with the choking issue.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I use the Avent bottles with the newborn nipple. They seem to work well. There are the "classic" ones and the "natural" ones. The "natural" ones are newer and the nipple resembles a real nipple even more than the classic. DD seems to take as long to drink 3 ounces as she normally does to nurse, so I suppose the flow is appropriate. And I have an adapter so I can pump right into them from my Medela pump!!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I tried a couple, including the medela calma (for us this was a big fail, he got drowned, heh), but for whatever reason LO seems to like Dr. Brown best of the ones I've tried. It's not really in any way like a real nipple, but it seems to work for us (and at almost 8 months he still prefers the real thing even though he gets four bottles a day while I'm at work).

I think it's just a trial and error thing, unfortunately.

I use Breast Flow by first years, but I agree it can be trial and error. Seems to be the slowest flow Ive tried and my IBCLC recommended them. I'd stay away from Gerber newborn nipple since its still fast flow.
    Proud Momma
    DD 2-1-01 BF for 16 months
    DS 1-9-10 BF for only 4 months due to low milk supply and working graveyard
    DD 4-28-12 Pumping 5X a day at work, Loving BFing

We used/use breastflow too. They used to sell them at Target but it seems like they may have gotten replaced by the tommee tippee brand. You can still get them online. BRU also used to sell them in store.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    It sounds like he's drinking from the bottles - so that's great! I used the Playtex Drop Ins with Trixie, with the widemouth naturalatch (sp?) nipples. We always used the newborn flow. It does come out fast. Have you seen the kellymom.com info on paced bottlefeeding? That might help with the choking issue.
    Same here - we have used those bottles/nipples with all four children with no problem (we replaced the nipples for each child but I don't think they've changed the design).

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on