Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My baby is a beggar and a snatcher!

Default Re: My baby is a beggar and a snatcher!

How about a "momsicle"? Expressed breastmilk ice cube, in one of those mesh feeder thingies. I never tried it, but I've heard from several people that their babies liked it.

My daughter was always content with a spoon and toys until we thought her ready for solids (7 mo here). She did gag herself with the spoon (aaah, 80's flashback! ) a few times but I think it's part of the learning process. The baby spoons we have have soft rubbery bowls, nothing she can hurt her mouth on. It's really just another toy at that point, I think.

Medical scientists agree that human milk is nature’s complete food for at least the first six months of life for the healthy full-term baby, and significant disadvantages have been found to introducing other foods before that time.

My baby is not yet 4 months and also hates to be left out at mealtimes. I think she wants to be up at the table to find out what we are doing. Babies learn about most things by putting them in their mouths. Mouths are very sensitive and this is a natural way of exploration, but an interest does not necessarily mean your baby is ready for solids. I think the frustration is a healthy sign of curiosity. If you hold your baby on your lap she can watch and perhaps touch a few of the things on the table. It is a difficult stage and I need to have my dh cut up my food so I can feed myself with one hand while holding the baby, else we pass her backwards and forwards so we can both eat. Am looking forward to her being able to sit up so she can sit at table. Leaving her in a bouncy chair on the floor just isn't an option as she gets so upset

I have been grappling over the same issue about when to start solids. My ds got his first two teeth at 4.5 mo. He is still teething so I am expecting to see another tooth soon. He used to get up twice a night and then early am. Now he has been fussing up to 4 times a night of which I nurse him 3. He is in a co-sleeper so it isn't so tough however, I am not getting any sleep. I mean 1 to 1.5 hrs at a time and only about 4-5 hours and it is killing me. I started him on cereal as I have read over and over that is the best first foods??? He can sit in a highchair, grabs at my food and stares and can pinch and now has lost the tongue reflux. At first it was real runny and in the evening about an hour after he nursed and before bedtime nursing so that it does not take place of a nursing session just an addition ( I was giving an extra xbm in a bottle before this). Now I am adding a late morning. Sometimes he eats a lot and sometimes not much. I let him judge. You all mentioned real foods like avocados and bananas, should I be giving him that instead of cereal? I had thought I would wait until 6mo to start real foods. My ds is 27" and 16.7lbs and will be 5 mo on the 17th. I just think he needs more.

Thanks

I am not into food fingerpainting, either, I admit. Somehow it worked out for us 15 years ago when my daughter refused to let me feed her. Other than the requisite "food make-up," I don't remember disgusting messes. I also believe you can limit the amount of "messing" and I do remember cheerfully singing "all done" when Erin threw something on the floor.

LLLI's recommendation is to offer whole foods in as close to their natural state as possible. Baby cereal is generally pretty processed, but you could look for a whole grain cereal (one grain at a time, to keep track of food sensitivity). All commercial baby foods are highly processed, as well as being expensive. Some foods mash easily, like banana, avocado, baked sweet potato. These foods are good as first foods because they are also fresh, easy to prepare, more nutritious than cereals, and less likely to cause sensitive or allergic reactions.
    You can mash or puree, but babies who can pick up bits may prefer finger foods. A baby who is six months old can be given foods that are not pureed or liquified.
    The BAB offers this progression of foods:
    banana, or avocado, sweet potato, yam
    high iron and protein meat, cut into small slivers or mashed & moistened with meat juices--if you are vegetarian, other foods may be subsitituted
    whole-grain breads and cereals
    fresh fruits, not canned or dried because of sugar and stickiness
    vegetables
    dairy products--after one year
    Also, remember you are only "introducing" solids--just a teaspoon or so to start.
    Foods to avoid? Eggs, peanuts, citrus frits, berries w/seeds, dried fruits, foods high in sat or trans fats, foods with added sugar or artificial sweeteners, foods high in salt, honey. Also wait on nuts, whole grapes, popcorn, large pieces of hot dog, peanut butter, or foods that can break off in chunks like raw carrot or celery sticks.

I love the idea that you're having your baby at the table...in a training I do, we use the term "feeding is much more than eating" and that is during breastfeeding AND table-eating!

Giving opportunities to munch on something while at the table isn't really "eating" - what we do want to make sure is that breastmilk feeding is not replaced by much less nutritious foods (as I often explain, using the now "old" food pyramid...why replace something that is the ENTIRE pyramid with something that's only a small section of it?).

When solids are really started they should COMPLEMENT not replace the breastmilk feeding - so different babies have complementary needs at different times.

Also on the idea of "feeding is more than just eating," you may need, with this child, to try to reduce your stress about messiness. Some really like to "wear" their food - and the experience of touching, feeling, smelling, mashing is part of their learning about foods...yes, in that case meals are usually followed by a bath...and with one of my children a shower curtain was used under the chair!

Remember that as with everything related to children - this is a PHASE it IS time-limited - it WILL end and you'll be off to new (and probably just as messy) experiences!

Jeanette P.

Breast milk is the most important food in your baby’s diet for the first year of his life.

It is a myth that baby food manufacturers are keen for mothers to believe that breast milk is insufficient to sustain their growing babies after the first few months.

I understand that bm is the most important food for the baby for the first year of life and certainly the first 6mo. I have been fortunate to be off work still and will be until ds is around 7m. The reason I started cereal was two fold, one, he has reflux and was spitting up a lot even with the medicine and two he wasn't gaining well. He never naps long and is very energetic and plays hard and I assumed like us he burns a lot of calories and was just status quo. I started with a little cereal then added to it as he wanted more. Always after I had bf him so it was inbetween meals and he never did not nurse fully when it was his nursing time. I have never been a huge milk producer but have had enough to keep him going. Until now. Since adding cereal he is gaining slowly but at least gaining again. He is very tall and skinny. I read all I could read on first foods and read that it wasn't good to use any cereal other then rice for the first 6mo. I tell ya this is one of the most confusing new motherhood issues. I want to do right by him but I also want him full. I do nurse on demand and pretty much my life revolves around his eating and sleeping times. I figure it is my job now for the time being and I do love it although very fatigued.

I will look for a less processed cereal though and see if that helps.

Have you tried banana? Peeling and squishing is easy and I think fruit is probably more nutritious than cereal.

With regard to the reflux: One cause of reflux is delayed emptying of the stomach and breast milk has been found to empty from the stomach more quickly than solids.

Some babies go through high frequency periods when they need to nurse much more. These usually pass I have found if I've just gone along with the baby and nursed loads more. If after a few weeks of non-stop nursing (LOL) then you'll know your boy is ready for some complementary solids.

Good luck.