Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Start breastfeeding at 9 months?

Default Start breastfeeding at 9 months?

My son is 9 1/2 months old. He's been formula fed since he was born. We tried to breastfeed, but since I was a young, new mom and I wasn't properly informed, I gave up quick. Is there anyway to get my supply back and start breastfeeding or pumping now? Or should I just not worry about it? I regret not breastfeeding him & want to try again, but I feel like its too late...

Default Re: Start breastfeeding at 9 months?

Welcome to the forum!

It is definitely possible to achieve what you want to do. Getting your milk back is a matter of stimulation to the breast, using the baby if the baby will nurse, or the pump if the baby won't nurse or isn't doing a good job. You'll need a good pump, probably a hospital-grade rental (they usually cost about $3 a day, cheaper than a latte!), and you'll want to use it frequently. Ideally, you'd pump as often as you would nurse a newborn, i.e. every 2-3 hours around the clock.

Getting the baby to nurse after 9 months on the bottle is a much dicier proposition. Some babies do go back and try nursing, but many do not. This link explains all the ways I know of to get a baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"