Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Supply almost gone/ Mastitus

Default Milk Supply almost gone/ Mastitus

Up until yesterday I was doing great breastfeeding. Going strong for 6 months. In the first weeks I battled with mastitis twice. I have always had a very abundant milk supply, but always had more in the right breast. My lil man favors the right side. I got mastitis on the left side the day before yesterday and was put on bacterium. My milk supply has almost completely gone away on that side and I cant get any to come out when I pump. I can usually pump 6+ oz. from each side when I pump. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Default Re: Milk Supply almost gone/ Mastitus

Welcome to the forum!

6 oz from each side when you pump is a really, really large amount. Most moms whose supplies are well-matched to their babies' needs produce about 1.5 oz per hour. So that large amount you're expecting is actually not really a reasonable amount of milk to be making in the long term, especially because making so much milk puts you at higher risk for plugged ducts and mastitis.

Are you primarily home with your baby, or are you working outside the home? If you're home with baby and nursing on demand, all you need to do is nurse and the baby will maintain your supply at the right level. If you're at work, you may need to pump a lot more frequently and tune up your pump. You may also need to eliminate any plugged ducts that would be stopping the milk from flowing- mastitis oftenstarts with a plugged duct and while antibiotics can make the infection go away they don't eliminate the plug. That's something you need to do by nursing or pumping, combined with massage, warm water soaks, etc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I went back to the Dr. yesterday, and I have thrush as well. I was on antibiotics for strep last week, and it gave my son thrush and he passed it to me. I can barely even get a half an ounce after two hours. I started Fenugreek, and have added more milk boosting foods. He eats from both sides and still demands a bottle of some I have frozen. I'm worried it isn't going to come back. I pump after each feeding to try and make the demand increase. I have a Medela pump, so its a good pump... I'm so devastated

I am a stay at home mom, my hubby works. So I nurse on demand!

Okay, if you're a SAHM, all you really need to do is to nurse, nurse, nurse, and put the bottles away. The baby is better at stimulating a good supply than the pump is, and if you just keep switching him back and forth from breast to breast all day long, he will get fed. Every time you resort to the bottle, you're short circuiting the message which your baby is trying to give with constant demand, which is: make more milk!

If you're concerned that your LO won't get enough, just keep a careful diaper count. As long as diaper output is normal, you know baby is getting enough milk.

I really feel like you should let go of the expectation that you will or should get back to making 6 oz per breast. That's a really large oversupply, way more than your baby needs, and it's probably responsible in part for you having mastitis in the first place. So, just FYI, when supply is well-matched to demand, the following are normal:
    - never or only rarely feeling engorged or full
    - never or only rarely experiencing letdown sensation
    - minimal pump output after feedings, pump output only 1.5 oz per hour or thereabouts when you pump instead of nursing
    - baby may fuss at the breast in search of a faster flow
    - baby may nurse on both breasts despite having needed only one per feeding in the past
    - baby may change his nursing frequency
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Awesome!! Thanks so much! I guess I do need to change my expectation of it coming back like it was, it was a pain anyway. I would get full like 30 mins after nursing him. He only ate on one side because I was always SUPER Full, and I could never go to bed without pumping and I would also have to pump after night feedings. I always felt a really strong let down though, so I prob wont be feeling that as strong anymore?

-My LO is throwing up after every feeding now, do you think I should stop the Fenugreek? I'm making plenty to feed him now.. just afraid of a drop again.
    -Should I keep pumping after each feeding? Or will that tell my body to make to much?
    -On my left breast I have a lot of hard lumps in it, it was the one that had mastitis. I have been massaging, I don't know what else to do to make them go away. It isn't producing near as much as my right.

Thanks for the answers and advice!!

Oversupply really is a pain! What you describe- feeling full 30 minutes after feeding, needing to pump all the time to relieve fullness- that's just not what you want to be doing in the long term.

I don't think you need the fenugreek or to pump the unaffected breast after feedings. Just let baby nurse on demand and trust him to be able to establish your supply at just the right level. Don't expect to ever get 6 oz from pumping again- just remind yourself that 1-2 oz after a feeding or 2-4 oz instead of nursing is terrific output at the pump.

Since you're still experiencing some plugged ducts in your left breast, I think you may need to continue to pump that side in an effort to get those plugs to clear and to prevent the mastitis from taking root in that side again. I suggest doing the following:
    - Offering the left breast first every time you nurse, unless baby will not take the right after nursing on the left.
    - If baby only ever requires one breast per feeding, alternate breasts and pump the left when it's not being nursed on.
    - Use moist heat and massage on the left
    - inspect the nipple surface for blisters or blebs that may be blocking the ducts- if you find one or more, let us know and we'll give you suggestions for clearing them

Awesome Awesome, Thank you so very much. I feel much better knowing I was just oversupply then and not under supplying now!! He is as content as can be!! Thanks your the welcome!!!