Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need more suggestions for increasing supply?

Default Need more suggestions for increasing supply?

Baby girl will be 7 months in a few days. She is still a BM baby, chubby, happy and healthy with normal diapers. No formula at all yet. We introduced solids (mostly cereal) about 3 weeks ago. I've made it a point to pump when I'm at home and we give her solids so I don't lose supply (whatever I pump usually goes right into the cereal bowl). But the last 10 days my supply has drastically decreased when pumping.

Fri-Sun she is EBF, and Mon-Thurs she gets 2-3 bottles of BM, and I feed her once at the breast in the morning, once in the early evening and once before I go to bed around 11pm. She usually goes to bed around 8:30 pm, but I get her up before I go to bed (she sleepily nurses for about 15 minutes then falls back to sleep). I WAS pumping twice while at work and producing enough for three 5 oz bottles for the following day. I (stupidly) got convinced to do a brand of diet shakes to help shed some more baby weight. I think it messed with my milk. I stopped about a week ago. But now I'm pumping 3 times at work, and still falling about 3-4 ounces short of my goal for the following day.

Any suggestions? A girl I work with who exclusively pumps says she takes about 10 fenugreek (sp?) pills a day and she eats oatmeal every morning and that seems to help. Do I need to take fenugreek? Should I just keep pumping more frequently and hope supply goes back up in the next few days?

Default Re: Need more suggestions for increasing supply?

Why are you pumping at home instead of breastfeeding?
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

You may want to consider renting a hospital grade pump for a bit because they are designed to increase supply whereas the kinds you buy for personal use are designed to maintain an already established supply. You could also try pumping for a few minutes after you feed her to increase the stimulation more.

Hope this helps. Good luck, mama!

It's possible you're about to get your period back. Many women notice a sudden but temporary drop in supply right before their period, and she's at the age where it's quite possible you will start cycling again especially if she's sleeping through the night or nearly so. Or, is there a possibility you could be pregnant? That would also explain the sudden drop in supply.

Or, you could be introducing solids too quickly. How much are you giving her? Are you replacing nursing sessions with solids? Even if you are pumping to replace the nursing, nursing is more effective for maintaining supply, so if you've gone from nursing, say, 8 times a day on the days you are home to 5 times a day plus pumping, that might explain the drop. I would suggest that any solids at this age should be offered immediately after a nursing session in order to protect your supply. Nurse her first, then offer solids right after. She probably won't take much (a couple spoonfuls) and that's ok. At this point solids are for fun and for practice. Your milk should still be her primary source of nutrition. You want to avoid filling her up with solids so that she nurses less, because that can cause supply problems.

Good luck, hope some of this is helpful.

I only pump at home when she eats solids for a meal. I'll pump enough to make cereal with. Otherwise, she's on the boob. I have to pump at work though.

Thank you Joshuasmommy! I will offer her boob first at home before offering cereal. She only gets cereal once a day, sometimes twice. She still gets lots and lots of BM. A period would make sense too. I've only had some light spotting twice since she was born (not counting the afterbirth bleeding). And Lord, I hope I'm not pregnant! I'm on a progesteren only BCpill. I'd like to be done (we have 3!)
    Last edited by @llli*irishlake; August 20th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.