Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what is the strongest breast pump?

Default what is the strongest breast pump?

Hi, I have been researching about pumps, and their characteristics mostly focus on the size, weight etc. when I breastfed my first baby - it was all good when he was at the breast, but I had no result trying to squeeze some mile manually or using a very simple manual breast pump. After 20 minutes of squeezing, I would get 10 mls. Please advice on vacuuming power of breast pumps... I don't think any manual type will do the job. I just want make sure that I buy a really strong one.

Also my first baby used to be at the breast for a really long time every feeding session - maybe my flow of milk is really slow? I know it does not mean anything, but just to note - the size of breast is very large.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Default Re: what is the strongest breast pump?

In general, the least effective pumps are manual pumps. Single electric pumps are a step up from that. Double electric pumps are a further step up, but there can be significant differences in effectiveness between low end and high end models. The most effective pumps are usually the hospital-grade pumps, which are so expensive (usually around $1000) that they are available primarily as rentals.

What type of pump you buy depends on what you will be using it for. If you are a stay at home mom who will be using a pump only occasionally, an inexpensive single electric will likely be enough. If you are going to work part time outside the home, a less expensive double electric pump like the Ameda Purely Yours is probably sufficient. If you're going to work full time outside the home, you want a very good double electric pump like the Medela Pump in Style.

Long feedings are very normal, particularly for young babies, and have nothing to do with breast size. Feeding lengths vary widely between babies, with some babies getting a full meal in just 5-10 minutes and oths taking closer to an hour. It's all fine and normal provided the babies are nursed on demand and are gaining sufficient weight and producing adequate diaper output.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"