Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How Much??

Question How Much??

Hello!
    I have a 5 month old baby girl who I am breastfeeding. I have gone back to work since she was 2 months old. My mother in law is watching her while Im at work! SOO BLESSED!! I do have a question... Im not sure how much I should be having my MIL feed my baby at each feeding. I currently pump at work and Im lucky to get a 5oz bottle for the next day. That of course is not enough for my baby for the day. Is 6oz too much for a 10 1/2 pound baby? My MIL is having to supplement 1-2 times a day with formula...

Default Re: How Much??

Welcome to the forum!

How long are you at work for each day? And how many of those 5 oz bottles does your MIL give?

The general rule of thumb is that a baby needs about 1.5 oz of milk per hour. That means many babies get a 2-4 oz bottle every 2-3 hours, with maybe a 1-2 oz chaser bottle if necessary.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you!

Im at work Monday- Friday 8-5... So that is about right. She is giving her 2-3 bottles total. One is BM and the other 2 are formula...

In that case, how many times a day do you pump and what sort of pump are you using?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I pump 2-3 times a day and I use the Medela Swing. I have 2 of them. I should have gotten the double but didnt even think about that. I had gotten one Swing to help with a flat nipple issue and so I just bought another one so I could double pump...

I'd upgrade to a more powerful machine. I'm thnking Pump in Style- that seems to be the one most working moms choose.

I got one and it seems to be doing a bit better but.. not getting more. Im going to keep trying though and Im going to try fenugreek as well. Hoping it will work better. It seems to today...