Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hates being covered

Default Re: Hates being covered

I found nursing in a stretch wrap (like a moby to be the easiest thing in the world and ir basically acted as a cover. You could try it. I did not have kids who would nurse under anything.

But to be perfectly honest if I were in that situation I would just avoid my inlaws. If they think their completely irrational feelings are more important than my baby's health and happiness then they don't need to be around my baby. Seriously. I would also by whacking my DH upside the head.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I'm sorry your in-laws are so judgy.
    I struggled with this for a while. Not the in-law part, but just because I wasn't comfortable NIP for a LONG time. (My baby is also a frequent popper-offer.)

I have a regular cover that has a stiff neck and that helped a *little* but the hanging down part still tended to bunch up around her face and piss her off immensely.

What I ended up doing was sort of making my own cover. I used one of those lightweight Aden and Anais gauze blankets and like 80 cents worth of wire from Lowe's. THen just fold part of the blanket over and glue it down. (I don't sew. If you sew, go for it!) I can't remember what guage wire I used but it was basically easily bendable but tough enough to stay stiff, too. It was coated so it wasn't pokey or anything.
    You could do the same thing with any blanket you have (or just some fabric from the fabric store.) And it's super cheap.

These days I've just decided that people can talk about me if they want to. I've gotten better at being discreet and keeping my hand at the ready to cover my nip when she pops off. But it took me a good long time to get to this point.
    Call me Trish!
    Robbie, born at 26w2d on 5/31/08. EPed 15 months. He was G-Tube fed until just before his 3rd birthday. He now knows the joy of food and drink by mouth!
    Charlotte born 11/12/11 at 35w2d. Blissfully feeding her from the tap since birth.

I used a cover until about 6 months, when my DD started thrashing around as well. Maybe it's just me, but I LOVE having an excuse to leave the room when I'm at my in-laws' house, and at my parents' house, as well. Since everyone has an opinion on everything I do regarding raising my child ("You're STILL nursing?" "You should let her cry!" "Babies HAVE to eat meat!") I am so happy to say, "Sorry, got to go in this room to nurse for a while." I even drag it out and play with her for a little while!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I don't have in-laws who are uncomfortable about me nursing my DD around them, but DH has a couple of guy friends who've come over while I'm feeding her. No one's said anything, but for their comfort in case she decides to pop off and look around (and at 3 months, she's really starting too!), I just stand toward the back of the room. I did the same thing while nursing her in my Ergo last night at a county council meeting public forum.
    I can't believe your DH takes their side though! Do you cover up if it's just him around? I'd tell him to get over it cause his baby is hungry and next time you all get together to eat, bring enough blankets for everyone to put over their heads.

The problem with covers is that in a few months he's going to start pulling that cover aside. And then your in-laws will be in for an eye-full much bigger than if you had just been nursing discreetly. I'm sorry that you have to worry about this with your family.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thank you all for your advice! I had a terrible night, once again being forced to leave the room, until the one available room was being used... DH saw how upset it made me (I even cried about it), so we talked on the way home. It turns out he's more understading of the situation than I thought. He's still a little weird about BIP without a cover, but he understands that BF is natural and shouldn't need to be covered so much (he blames our society for his discomfort, which makes sense lol).

I can't just avoid my in-laws, though...I'm very close to them, and I visit them simply b/c I love spending time with all of them! It's just unfortunate that they have a false idea of modesty when it comes to BF.

So I decided that I just don't care, and I'll nurse my DS whenever and wherever. I'll try the nursing cover I ordered, but if that doesn't work, oh well! It's not worth the tears.

I'm Erin, wife to a wonderful husband, and first time mother of Baby Will - 05/13/2012

"Keep calm and latch on!"

Did you try layers of clothes? That way your LO is not covered but you are not showing anything

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lasbi.modeu View Post
    Did you try layers of clothes? That way your LO is not covered but you are not showing anything
    Yep, that's exactly how I BF discreetly. Works like a charm

I'm Erin, wife to a wonderful husband, and first time mother of Baby Will - 05/13/2012

"Keep calm and latch on!"

good luck mama!! i'm so glad you were able to talk to your DH about this, and i hope this will help your in-laws see that there's nothing to get excited about. keep us posted.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My lo does NOT like the nursing cover that you can see her we have struggled with the same issue and not found a solution besides me just turning my back to everyone while feeding. Even in front of my husbands 80 yr old grandpa lol. I have to say thoug my lo only eats about 5-10 minutes. Good luck with the nursing cover I hope it works for you..