Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hates being covered

Default Hates being covered

My DS has been BF like a champ these days, except when we're not at home, because he just hates being covered up! Sometimes I don't bother trying covering him with a blanket, since I'm discreet about it anyway, but at my in-laws, everyone would be very offended if I didn't. So I either have to struggle with DS to get him to nurse while struggling with a stupid blanket, or go to a bedroom like every hour. Whenever I try nursing under a blanket, DS just thrashes around and screams. We visit the in-laws quite often, so it's gotten to be very frustrating. I'd love to just not cover up, but it's really not worth the scandal it would cause.

Have any of you gotten your LOs to nurse while covered? Would an actual nursing cover (rather than a blanket) help?

I'm Erin, wife to a wonderful husband, and first time mother of Baby Will - 05/13/2012

"Keep calm and latch on!"

Default Re: Hates being covered

DD was the same, and I just had to accept it was her personal preference. She also would gasp and suck in air, whenever I pulled a shirt over her head, so I think she had a very real fear of having her head/face covered. In the beginning, when we were still getting the hang of things, I did go to a private place to nurse her. As she got older, and got better at latching on, I learned how to dress in layers, so I revealed very little skin, and most people wouldn't even know I was nursing. Also, she'll probably be able to go longer stretches without having to nurse, as time goes along, so hang in there

you didn't ask for advice about changing the (unreasonable) situation with your in-laws, but how does your dh feel about the cover or you having to leave the room?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I couldn't get DD1 to be covered and I am very shy but I learned how to dress, as pp said, in layers. You said you are already very discreet, so I guess that's not the issue? If you don't know how to dress in layers, let me know, I can try to explain.

As pp said, they grow really fast and will go longer stretches as they get busier.

I'm sorry you have such uneducated people as in-laws One friend of mine told me once, "breastfeeding is more National Geographic to me than Playboy" I think that sums it up

I found that a nursing cover instead of a blanket did in fact help, because I used the kind with a wire around the neck that would allow a peek-a-boo window for baby to see me. I would tent it around my LO enough that instead of it laying on top of her, it was almost like a sling with a popped window where I could see her and she could see me but no one else could se anything at all.

Yes, I do dress in layers. I've pretty much mastered the art of discreet public BF, besides the fact that DS pops off constantly. I really can't change the situation with my in-laws, and my DH is on their side with the issue. I know this b/c of a cousin who wouldn't cover up when BF sometimes. She would say it was natural (which of course it was), but it made everyone extremely uncomfortable and even upset, and everyone would talk and make jokes about how weird it was when she wasn't around.

I do think I'll get a nursing cover. If it helps at all then it would be worth the money to me. It also helps that you all have reminded me that he will go longer stretches eventually.

Maybe I could possibly stop covering up around just the female in-laws? I know that sounds easy, but even that would be a big step...

I'm Erin, wife to a wonderful husband, and first time mother of Baby Will - 05/13/2012

The cover that I got that had the wire that pops out was very inexpensive, it was one of those deals where you only paid shipping, I got an email with the offer while I was pregnant. I can't remember the name but maybe someone else does, it was "free", but 9.95 for shipping. The one time I tried to use it though I ended up feeling like an idiot because I got us both all tangled up in it but I'm sure if you used it regularly you'd get the hang of it. I never tried it again, I nurse mostly just at home with my husband and older daughter and none of us mind seeing my breasts, and when I nurse in the car or something I don't go to any great lenght to cover up, I figure people can avert their eyes if they don't want to see. When I've been at someone else's house I've asked where I should nurse and have gotten responses ranging from "anywhere you want to!", to "in the back bedroom". In your situation part of me would feel like Hey, let me help these people learn to lighten up and I would actually get a kick out of them talking about me behind my back, but on the other hand, I understand you are in their house, so I guess playing by their rules is the polite thing. But if they were to visit ME in MY home, it would be different.
    Anyway, does anyone else know the name of that wire cover you can get for the shipping price - - I think it is the same company as the Seven Slings sling, the fabric looks the same, but seems like with the cover it was called something else, but have a feeling it is the same Co. Try looking at Seven Slings and see if they mention the cover.....

My son hasn't tolerated a cover since he was about 3-4 months old. It may be worth a try with your baby but I wouldn't be surprised if she rejects it, just as she has with the blanket. Honestly, I think your options are 1)don't go to the in-laws 2)nurse in another room as you are doing 3)nurse in front of them and allow them to talk about you. Only other thing that occurs to me is some moms have luck with nursing in a sling or carrier. I have a Maya wrap, which is nice because it has a tail of fabric that you can use to cover baby while nursing. My son never took to it, though, so we don't really use it. Some moms have luck nursing discreetly with the Ergo. Good luck to you! I think nursing uncovered in front of at least your female in-laws is a very reasonable goal. I can't imagine why they'd mind if it's only women...unless they are the type of people who just think breastfeeding is gross, period. In which case, you have my sympathy dealing with them!

Well they definitely don't think BF is gross, just BF without beng 100% covered.

I did order an "udder cover," so we'll see if that helps. I'll practice with it at home first and see. Thanks ladies!

I use one of these. http://www.facebook.com/prettywellcovered
    We LOVE it! First, they are cute and stylish. Second, it's discrete enough so people don't realize what I'm doing, they are not an obvious BF cover like most others. Third, it's sheer, so baby and I can maintain eye contact, she's not over heating and still gets the feel of fresh air on her face. Four, it has a "silky" edge, which my baby girl just loves. She has a "lovey" that she holds to her face when she sleeps, and this silky edge is just like that so she holds it.