Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When should I start weaning my LO?

Default When should I start weaning my LO?

My LO is 8 months old and my supply is lowering I was wondering if I should start trying to wean her since I feel as if I am starting to dry up? I have plenty of milk stored to do her till at least 12 months. I just don't want to dry up and then just have to throw a sippy on her all of a sudden And her not be able to nurse. Seems to me it would be confusing to her. Help please!

Default Re: When should I start weaning my LO?

Can you tell us why you think your supply is lowering?

and, are you feelng like you WANT to wean, or like you SHOULD or are SUPPOSED to wean?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

As long as you continue to nurse on demand, you will not just "dry up" unless you get pregnant again or go on some form of hormonal contraception that is contraindicated for breastfeeding. Supply = demand.

A lot of moms mistake normal adjustments to supply for low or disappearing supply. After you have been nursing for a while, it is normal to never or rarely feel "full" or engorged, to have less intense or undetectable letdowns, to leak less, to need to use both breasts at a feeding even if you only needed one for a long time, and to pump less. It's also completely normal for the baby to change her nursing frequency, to sleep through the night, to not sleep through the night, and to be fussy at the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

First- HUGS to you. So many of us mothers understand the panic & concern you may be feeling, we have been there too. You are doing a great job- you made it to 8 months, with a stash to keep going to 12!

I second Mommal.

Remember, too, that nursing is more than just food. You continue to give your DD immune cells in more concentrated levels as she grows older even as milk volumes change & she increases her intake of solids foods & non-human milk liquids. If you want to continue nursing, you can use it to heal boo-boos, redirect tantrums, & snuggle together, all sorts of things to emotionally support your child. It can be a great parenting tool especially in the toddler stage. Do what feels natural & right to you. If you want to continue to nurse but feel outside pressures to wean, it may help to talk with other moms who are breastfeeding older babies/children, or a LLL leader. If you want to wean, a LLL leader can help you with that too. Good luck!

I really don't want to wean! I really thought my supply was drying up but maybe it has just worked itself out. I have always had a oversupply and been in pain most of my nursing experience I just can not figure out how I can get a break if I strictly breast feed. My LO has never had a bottle and I feel as if I leave her somewhere and she gets hungry I am a crappy mom for not being there to feed her. Should I try starting to put milk in a sippy sometimes so I could maybe leave her with daddy for a while? If so how to I relieve myself if I can't pump?

8 months is a terrific time to introduce a sippy cup. But be aware that some babies are no more interested in sippies than they are in bottles.

At 8 months, you should feel free to go out for a few hours (say 2-3?)- nurse right before you leave, have daddy offer solids while you're gone, and nurse ASAP when you get home.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.