Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 1/2 month old latch on has changed, and it's painful!

Default 7 1/2 month old latch on has changed, and it's painful!

About two weeks ago my son has started to latch on, put both hands on my chest, and push off as far as possible. Well because of this he is literally on the tip of my nipple and it is starting to become painful, not to mention the occasional bite and smile afterwards. If I try to reposition him he just screams. I know he's getting milk but I'm afraid he's not getting enough because he won't latch correctly. My other question is he is 7 1/2 months and he nurses about 6 to 7 times a day, I have a friend and her little boy is nursing only 3 times at this age. Just wondering if I'm doing things right.

Default Re: 7 1/2 month old latch on has changed, and it's painful!

You are doing wonderfully. Every baby is different, just like adults. DD3 nurses about 4 times a day, if that, but nurses at least 3 or 4 times at night.

About the pulling far away, that is his way of getting more milk. I'm sure someone with more experience on this will chime in but my suggestion would be to gently press on your breast while he is sucking to help the milk flow. Only press while he is sucking and change the position of your finger and thumb so you press on different ducts every now and then.

That's a good idea, thank you for the help

Could he be teething? That might explain the behavior you're experiencing.

6-7 nursing sessions per day is fine at 7 months. 3 nursing sessions is not nearly enough- I hope your friend is supplementing with formula?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He has two teeth on the bottom and I think he might be getting another because he's been rubbing his ears a ton, I just tried to nurse him and he's not nursing long now. But he didn't do that with the first two. And no shes not using formula at all but she has started giving her son juice and water.

You might want to gently suggest that she speak to her pediatrician. My kids' doctor has always told me that until the first birthday, breastmilk or formula are supposed to be the baby's primary source of nutrition because they have the proper balance of proteins and fats and sugars, whereas it's much harder to achieve that perfect balance with solids. Juice and water are not a substitute for nursing or formula!

Have you considered the possibility that your baby has an ear infection or other illness? That would also explain odd nursing behavior.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

6-7 times a day seems plenty normal. On days I'm with him all day my LO goes 8-9 times (2-3 of those overnight)

Never occured to me it wasn't normal, heh.

The latch behavior is odd, but might be connected to teething (or ear infection or other discomfort)

I was about to post the exact same question. My 7.5 month old is doing a similar thing and one of my nipples is getting very sore. I'd love to hear more from others about whether they think it is a low supply thing. My lo def does this more at night which would coincide with less milk.
    I'm Elizabeth, first time mom to Sofia Kerala, born Jan. 6, 2012 at home.

We are happily , , , and .

I'm an international teacher-librarian , currently working in Brazil.

If a mom is concerned about low supply, she should go back to counting diapers. Good diaper output = good milk input. Fussiness at the breast, and latching/unlatching- those are generally not indicative of supply issues. It's much more likely that they indicate teething, or flow preference, like when baby wants a faster or slower flow speed.

My 8 1/2 month old does the same thing. I feel it is a phase she is going through. What I'd do and have had to for about a month is place my arm across the top of hers to keep it back from pushing off and the other arm I place between my arm and rib cage. I know how painful it can be it makes my nipples so sore. Sometimes she still fights and gets mad at me when I do this but she gives it up and nurses.