Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Newbie...lots of questions

Default Pumping Newbie...lots of questions

Hi Mommies,

I am new to motherhood AND BFing and I have lots of questions regarding pumping
    as I prepare to return to work...any help/advice/success stories are greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

1. How much/how often to pump for freezer stash AND 1x daily bottle feeding
    2. Will pumping interfere with his feedings? For instance, i'm afraid to pump while he's napping for fear that he'll wake up ready to eat and I won't have any milk left to offer him.
    3. Some days he nurses every 1-2 hours (growth spurt days i assume) and others he will go 4-6 hours without nursing (during long naps and long night stretches) Is this going to mess with my supply?? and should I be pumping during these long stretches of not nursing?
    4. How to avoid over supply?
    5. Once I return to work I will pump during the day and should I nurse exclusively at night? What about on weekends, do I need to pump??
    6. About how many bottles will I need to make for a day at daycare?? I can't tell how many ounces he's drinking while nursing.

Default Re: Pumping Newbie...lots of questions

hi there mama. how old is your baby?

i started pumping at about 8 weeks, once in the am right after his first nursing session. i went back to work at 12 weeks. really i had more of a stash than i needed, you really only need one days worth because what you pump at work will be what the baby takes the next day. for me though i liked the secirity of having a little extra in case he ever drank more or i pumped less for various reasons.

pumping will not interfere with feedings, you alwaya have milk even when you feel "empty" or after a pumping for nursing session. i liked having the one pump right after the first morning nurse because we are more "full" in the morning. i liked getting used to the whole pumping process and i began to respond better to the pump as i got closer to going back to work. initially i got a dew drops, eventually that same session i would get one or two oz.

i would say just do that once session and thats it. if you feel like you could fit in a session or you feel full go ahead, but try not to stress. feel it out.

and i recommend using a hands free bra, using compressions while you pump, and practice hand expression for a min or two at the end. that has been proven to increase overall production. there is a sticky thread with a video in the pumping section. i think its call increasing milk production or something. remember that your produce plenty of milk, its just a matter of responding to the pump and working with the whole pumping thing.

try not to go pumping crazy, that is what would lead to oversupply. i feel like i kind of had a little OS once i was back at work from all the pumping.

personally i did not pump when i was with my baby. nurse when you are together and forget the pump.

as for how much milk to send that will depend. this is a good link. i would say send in anywhere from 1-3 oz bottles initially. if the baby is taking the bottle well you can have 2-3 oz in each, but if the baby is still refusing a bottle when you go back you may want to have 1-2 oz so less milk is wasted.

be aware that dcp often overfeed bf babies. they are used to formula fed babies getting larger volumes... like 5-8 oz, which is HUGE and way too much for a bf baby. also they often use milk to soothe the baby rather than other comfort measures. you will get to know exactly what your little one needs and make sure they dont pressure you into giving excessive milk.

my son needed 3 oz bottles. i knew they were using the milk to soothe him and i kind of let it go because i wanted him to be calmed. when they started asking for 5 oz bottles i refused and had a talk with them about soothing him etc. very frustrating.

all the best. keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    hi there mama. how old is your baby?

i started pumping at about 8 weeks, once in the am right after his first nursing session. i went back to work at 12 weeks. really i had more of a stash than i needed, you really only need one days worth because what you pump at work will be what the baby takes the next day. for me though i liked the secirity of having a little extra in case he ever drank more or i pumped less for various reasons.

pumping will not interfere with feedings, you alwaya have milk even when you feel "empty" or after a pumping for nursing session. i liked having the one pump right after the first morning nurse because we are more "full" in the morning. i liked getting used to the whole pumping process and i began to respond better to the pump as i got closer to going back to work. initially i got a dew drops, eventually that same session i would get one or two oz.

i would say just do that once session and thats it. if you feel like you could fit in a session or you feel full go ahead, but try not to stress. feel it out.

and i recommend using a hands free bra, using compressions while you pump, and practice hand expression for a min or two at the end. that has been proven to increase overall production. there is a sticky thread with a video in the pumping section. i think its call increasing milk production or something. remember that your produce plenty of milk, its just a matter of responding to the pump and working with the whole pumping thing.

try not to go pumping crazy, that is what would lead to oversupply. i feel like i kind of had a little OS once i was back at work from all the pumping.

personally i did not pump when i was with my baby. nurse when you are together and forget the pump.

as for how much milk to send that will depend. this is a good link. i would say send in anywhere from 1-3 oz bottles initially. if the baby is taking the bottle well you can have 2-3 oz in each, but if the baby is still refusing a bottle when you go back you may want to have 1-2 oz so less milk is wasted.

be aware that dcp often overfeed bf babies. they are used to formula fed babies getting larger volumes... like 5-8 oz, which is HUGE and way too much for a bf baby. also they often use milk to soothe the baby rather than other comfort measures. you will get to know exactly what your little one needs and make sure they dont pressure you into giving excessive milk.

my son needed 3 oz bottles. i knew they were using the milk to soothe him and i kind of let it go because i wanted him to be calmed. when they started asking for 5 oz bottles i refused and had a talk with them about soothing him etc. very frustrating.

all the best. keep us posted.
    Thank you Mtmama!!

My little guy is 4 weeks 2 days right now--I go back to work at 9 weeks part-time, and then full time at 12 weeks. I am terrified, I don't want to leave him!

Thanks for all your advice, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for--I think this will work well for me. I pumped once this AM and got about 2 oz...I will try the techniques you mentioned and for now i'll save every other pump and leave some for my husband to be able to feed him while I make dinner

One more question that I forgot to mention--I am currently on antibiotics for the mastitis....the Dr said the milk is safe obviously, but should I really be freezing/saving this milk given that some of the antibiotics pass through, it is wise to have this milk as part of my stash? Because eventually i'll need to use it and it will have some of the antibiotics still present I would imagine? Maybe I am over-thinking this...haha

Thanks again!
    A

I don't really have anything to add just want to say good luck. Going back to work is emotionally hard because you miss your baby. Be gentle with yourself & baby as you all get used to a new routine. Breastfeeding after a long day at work is a great way to de-stress & reconnect with baby.

Oh & don't worry about using frozen milk from these antibiotic days. Freezing it won't change it's safety so if it's safe now it will be later too.

yes i wouldnt worry about the antibiotics.

and good luck. you will do a great job. pumping is hard but we are here for you. keep us posted and let us know what you need. being away from the baby is very hard. it will get better.

to prevent mastisis in the future: if you ever feel like you are getting a plugged duct or sore spot at all, massage and use heat while nursing, massage the spot in the shower, "rake" your fingers around the spot and down the breast in the shower, hand express a little while you do this

You've gotten good advice here. I wish someone had told me with my first one that I should massage my breasts every morning in the shower (and, heck, whenever I think of it ), look for sore spots, and work them out with heat. If you find a sore spot, favor that breast a bit while nursing, try to work the clog out, and empty that breast. Doing this frequently has prevented mastitis with my second child. I wish I had known this with my first one!

P.S. You've gotten great pumping advice. For those of us prone to oversupply, mastitis, and clogs, it's really important to only pump once or twice a day, max, while nursing. At the same time each day if possible. Don't go overboard with pumping, it can make oversupply worse which will then make you more likely to get mastitis.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.