Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EBF and green poo?

Default EBF and green poo?

My daughter is 3 months old and is exclusively breast fed... she's had a bottle of pumped milk 3 times when I've had to shoot a wedding or a date with my hubby. Well, the past 3 weeks her poo has smelled HORRIBLE! (no change in my diet) And the past two weeks she's occasionally had green poo. Is this something to be concerned about? This is my first baby and I really don't have much for resources here. Also, I've noticed this week that it takes her forever to get my milk to let down now. It used to happen after 3-4 good sucks. Now it takes her almost 2 minutes of continuous sucking to get it to let down. But to get her to suck that long with nothing coming out has become a battle. And now she's on a growth spurt and eating every 2 hours so its become rather frustrating. help?
    Last edited by @llli*shesaidwat; August 19th, 2012 at 02:48 PM.

Default Re: EBF and green poo?

are you by any chance taking fenugreek, or any other supplements? just asking because you mentioned that you were concerned about your supply, and often times ebf babies whose mommies are taking fenugreek to boost supply will have green poops. mine did.

green poop in babies isn't in itself cause for concern, or abnormal. is it frothy or mucousy? when coupled with other symptoms such as stinky gas, fussiness, sleeplessness, etc, green poo can indicate food sensitivities/allergies. it can also indicate a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

more info about green poop can be found here: http://kellymom.com/health/baby-heal...-green-stools/

also, we have a forum here that you might want to check out/search. all about poop! http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay....ination-Issues
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Nope, no supplements. I've not been worried much about supply until today when she's been nursing almost every hour. Her poo is a green color and almost frothy. I think I may start a food journal just to see if perhaps it COULD be something I'm eating... though I haven't eaten anything new since she was born... I'm a creature of habit. I'll check out that forum though thank you!!

ooo, just checked out the Kellymom link you shared... she has started teething and is a drool factory...I wonder if thats what the problem is?

Teething could explain everything. Green poop, frothy poop, and increased nursing frequency.

Are you taking hormonal contraception, or is there any chance of pregnancy? That would be the only reason I would be concerned about supply, in your case.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

For the let-down issue, try pumping until you get let-down and then latch her on.