Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I have to send my milk?

Default Do I have to send my milk?

I am starting school tomorrow, and I haven't been pumping to get a stash built up because I kinda don't think I need one! But im not for sure what to do,
    I will be doing a work study at the college daycare for 2 hours with 6 month old dd there with me.
    Then I get a half hour break to feed her,
    then I go to class for just an hour and get another break to feed her again.
    Then I go back to class for 2 hours and am done to pick her up.
    So the longest she will be without me is 2 hours. She refuses a bottle and sometimes accepts a sippy. The daycare says bring my milk but if she doesn't drink it their policy is to throw it out if she had even a sip. So that's wasting my time pumping and more importantly, my milk lol what should I do? I tried pumping this morning but didn't get much, maybe an ounce. The daycare will feed her breakfast and lunch baby food too. Is it okay to leave her without any?
    I am a 26 yr old Registered Nursing student, and more importantly a happy mom!
    born 12/2/05
    born 3/9/09.
    born 2/12/12
    I love and I love my kids

Default Re: Do I have to send my milk?

My daughter nursed every hour at that age if with me, but could definitely go two hours with her dad and no milk, without any problem. I'm no authority on the subject but can't see that pumping should be necessary. Much nicer (for both of you) just to nurse her in your breaks.

My daughter nurses every hour during the day too!! That's a little of why I was concerned but I think she can go longer, she just loves to comfort nurse.
    born 12/2/05
    born 3/9/09.
    born 2/12/12

if you're only gone 2 hrs and make sure she has a good nursing right before you leave I don't think there's a problem. I know another mom who taught at a preschool and her daughter was in the associated day care so she had nursing breaks instead of pump breaks. The idea of having someone throw out milk really makes me feel terrible. I know how hard I worked for pumped milk and I know pumping is not enjoyable for anyone so I would really try not pumping and nurse her every 2 hrs. I don't know why they're throwing out pumped milk, though.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Yea I agree, it is terrible and idk why either, it's just their"policy". Plus my supply has seemed low lately, well it's not that it's low, it's just that I don't have any extra. I've tried pumping a couple times today now and can't barely get a few drops. It's sad because I used to FILL the bottles every pump session, that was a few months ago. I have a small stash from then that's 4-5 months old but I kinda assumed it's gone bad now, what's your views on how long it's good for? It's in the bottom of a standard pull out drawer freezer that gets opened several times a day.
    born 12/2/05
    born 3/9/09.
    born 2/12/12

Usually they say 6 mos in the freezer but even if it reaches 6 mos I would still use it as long as it didn't smell bad. My IBCLC told me 6 months in the freezer, 6 days in the fridge, 6 hours on the counter/room temperature (but if you had a separate freezer it could last 12 mo).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Wow ok thank u
    born 12/2/05
    born 3/9/09.
    born 2/12/12