Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having to apologize for bf at 2yrs

Default Having to apologize for bf at 2yrs

Had to apologize for bf my 2 yrs twins tonight to my family. I am not really ashamed but felt like it tonight. They were preemies and I could bring them to breast until I brought them home three months later and could not fully bf until three months past that. We are not going to have more babies so I am enjoying our two times a day. My cousin bf but hated it and weaned early so made me feel bad that I am still doing it. Sad that society frowns on doing something that was normal prior to the introduction of formula.

Default Re: Having to apologize for bf at 2yrs

What on earth would you apologize?!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Indeed. WHY did you aopologize exactly?

Way too lazy for formula

Agree w/ PP's.
    Nursing two year old children is what keeps our species thriving. Your breastmilk is nutritious, filled with proper electrolytes and anti-bodies.
    there is no other food source more appropriate for your child and even if they are nursing twice a day, your breastmilk is fulfilling a human need.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I can totally relate. I haven't had to explain that I'm "still"BFing my 15-mo old, but we haven't been at another family members house when she has wanted to nurse for a while. My MIL is the worst. I've decided the next time she asks is Im "still" BFing I'm going to ask if she's "still" smoking. And if she doesn't want me to bug her about quitting, she shouldn't bug me either.

I agree, it's something we understand the health and other benefits, but our society as a whole doesn't get it, nor do they consider it normal.

Can you time your visits outside of nursing so it's a non issue? Sometimes it's easier to avoid the subject altogether so nobody is stressing about it.

Sometimes it helps to just stare at people and say "Wow, you seem to be extremely interested in my personal choices. Why is that?" That sort of conversational jujitsu can flip the issue around- instead of you having to defend why you're "still" nursing, the questioner has to defend their nosiness.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

BF until 2 years is honorable if babies and mama are mutually satisfied. You don't need to justify your choice to BF to anyone, let alone apologize.

Of course as a fellow nursing mama to a toddler, I don't think you need to apologize for anything. But I understand family clashes on this issue & perhaps it keeps the peace. Just know that you are an awesome mama & your kids are blessed by you as you are blessed by them. We all support you!

One thing I've learned - never apologize for something unless you're REALLY sorry (and even then, be careful - btw, this rule does not apply within a marriage ). When you apologize for anything, people think you've actually done something wrong. Apologizing when you haven't done anything wrong just makes the people around you think you HAVE done something wrong. And you haven't. You're doing something WONDERFUL.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

In my family i am the first one BF this long (17 months) and when someone asks me : when will you stop? I say: probably when she starts going to the university