Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cow's milk and nursing?

Default Cow's milk and nursing?

Hello. My lo will be one on Aug. 24th. Yay! I will be going back to teaching after having the summer off on Aug. 27th and am planning on having my dh give cow's milk, water, and solids while I'm at work instead of starting to pump again. Lo will also come to my school at lunch to possibly nurse. Has anyone else done this? And, if so, how much cow's milk did you give when away? My ped recommended 12 oz. Does that sound about right? I'll nurse on demand still when we're together. Thanks so much for your advice!
    My sweet little Dylan was born 8/24/11.

Default Re: Cow's milk and nursing?

bump

If you're nursing 3-5 times a day, on average, you probably don't need to supplement with cow's milk. Since he's just a year, I'd aim for closer to 5 times than 3, if possible. 12 oz of cow's milk in addition to your milk won't hurt, and doesn't sound so excessive, but it's probably not strictly necessary if you can cram in lots of nursing sessions.

Does your LO drink cow's milk willingly? If you've tried it, that is. A lot of kids don't like it, and that's not a big deal if a baby is still nursing frequently. Also, you can offer cheese and yogurt, and that counts as "dairy" as well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

great advice from mommal.

my son nurses frequently still. morning, when i pick him up from dc, before bed, and during the night. he has a cup of milk that he drinks at school but i dont worry about how much he gets. he gets yogurt and cheese too.

Thanks for the advice. We are still nursing really well about 4-5 times a day with some nursing "snacks" too. I've tried a little cow's milk. He will drink a little but not a lot. I don't know if he doesn't like it or is still adjusting to a sippy cup. He won't drink a ton of water out of the cup either. He does like yogurt and will sometimes eat cheese so I guess he'll be alright with that and nursing even if he ends up not drinking much cow's milk. I'll try to relax. This transition just makes me a little nervous. Thanks again.

You can introduce cow's milk, but I would try to nurse enough so that whatever he drinks is just gravy. That way, you don't have to stress out about it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.