Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Block-feedings

Default Block-feedings

For those of you who have block-fed to control over-supply or OALD, I was wondering...

Is block-feeding a temporary improvement? Is it only done so that there is relief during the time when you block-feed? Or does it "mildly" wean your breasts so that the permanent supply reduces to a baby-managable level?

If it is the latter, then how long does it generally take to decrease supply- days, weeks, or months? And how do you know when it's working, and when you should stop?

Thanks!

Default Re: Block-feedings

Since I lengthened the "blocks" to four hours, it seems to be helping slightly already, but I still don't know wether it's permanent or if I should just keep on block-feeding. How do I know when to go back to normal feedings? (Normal for us is one breast per feeding, alternating sides each time)

I block fed for about a month. Switched back to switching breasts each feeding (mostly), although still one breast per feeding mostly, and I haven't seen green poo yet, so I think we've gotten it beat!

Great! I was just about to post about how my supply has calmed down!

I was block-feeding one breast per feeding, then I swtiched it to the same breast for two feedings in a row, and got plugged ducts

But those have passed, the pain has gone, and now my baby amazingly doesn't have to let go during letdown! YES! But still beyond plenty of diapers.

I'm so happy! BF in public seems POSSIBLE now!

Hi Sasha,
    Block feeding is supposed to work gradually, but some moms will find some relief rather quickly. It's great that you are getting more comfortable already! Just watch for those plugged ducts.

It is very individual as to how long you will need to do this. For some it is for a few weeks, for others, longer.

Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences.

Thank you, Kate! I think the plugged ducts were a sort of blessing in disguise... I have a feeling they were responsible for the supply reduction. Not to say I liked them, but at least I came away from the experience with something positive.

I still have an obvious oversupply/OALD, but the spray is much shorter (time-wise) and after 7 hours of sleeping, I'm not nearly as engoged as I used to be (still engorged, but not rock-hard!)

Thanks to all who shared!