Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: first poop?

Default Re: first poop?

1. If the baby poops during the feeding and you decide to change the diaper, you weigh baby right before changing him, and subtract the beginning weight from the post-poop weight. Then you weigh again once baby is in a clean diaper, and proceed with the feeding, weighing again at the conclusion. At the very end, you add the pre-poop intake to the post-poop intake to get the total for the feeding.

2. Do at least a day's worth of before and after weights before making any judgments about intake.

3. Let's see what baby is taking in over the course of an average feeding before we get into that? I mean, if intake is good you can start weaning off of supplements. If it's not, then you have a lot of different options, but what they are depends on how good/bad the average nursing session ism in terms of intake.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So, for the past few weeks I've been using the scale to try to get an idea of DS's daily intake. I've been changing diaper, weighing, nursing, weighing, supplementing if necessary, then ending on the breast. I feel like it's helped my supply a little bit. I haven't been able to get a good idea of his overall daily intake, though. I inevitably miss at least one weigh-feed-weigh per day... usually because I end up falling asleep when I should be doing the final weigh or because we take a nap and he nurses while doing the side lay position ( i feel like a three hour or so gap between beginning and ending weight measurements leaves too much room for error). Also, I haven't quite figured out how to measure comfort nursing (how we end each feeding). Anyhow, in the morning DS is getting between 2-3oz per feeding . But, in the afternoon, he get's somewhere between 1-1.5oz per feeding. Sometimes it's even as low as .5oz at the end of the day. Sometimes I question the accuracy of the measurements, too, because he wiggles around so much on teh scale, I often have to use the weight that appears most frequently. The scale does have a function that will take the average weight, but even that varies when it's used back to back.

Anyhow, this new approach to BF has led me to some new questions. It's apparent that I have the storage capacity for more milk, but that I don't apparently make it fast enough. Is this the same thing as low supply? Is there a way to increase the speed at which milk is produced? Or is this just leading me back to the empty more frequently concept? I feel as though when I pump more, I just end up will less full breasts for the next feeding, as opposed to an increase in supply.

I really envy all of the ladies on here who have an abundant supply. I frequently get my hopes up after a succesful feeding, where no supplement is needed, thinking that we can go to EBF... only to see that at the next feeding he only gets .5-1oz.

Not making milk fast enough really is a great definition for low supply. And you guessed it: this does lead back to the empty more frequently concept. The trick with the pump is that yeah, the first few times you pump after nursing you're going to feel more empty at the next feeding, like you don't have enough. And the baby will feed very hungrily, and may be frustrated, and may want to nurse again sooner than usual. However, over time your supply will increase- it's that old supply = demand equation. More demand = more supply. Letting milk "build up" in the breast just tells the body to relax, and slow production down.

It sounds like the scale hass been helpful to you, but please don't get obsessed with it. Missing a few weigh-ins is not a big deal. You're using the scale to get an overall sense of what is going on, and I think you have a good one. You can make plenty of milk, but for whatever reason (probably going back to your baby's difficult newborn stage and the supplementing),your body just isn't in the habit. If you can, haul out that stupid pump and pretend it's your new newborn baby- if you pump at newborn frequency/intensity, I think you will be well rewarded.

And mama, I have to say that you're doing wonderfully! You haven't given up and while .5-1 oz seems like a shortfall, it's also really close to all you need!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Will do! One thing that makes BF DS easier than BF DD is how efficient he is. He empties both sides in about 20-30 min, where my DD would nurse for hours! This makes pumping a lot more manageable. thank you for your help and kind words

i agree with mommal - you're doing an awesome job, and it will be worth it to get the pump out and work like crazy for a week to bring your supply up.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Question about hydration. This morning DS and I fell asleep while nursing for about 3 [glorious] hours. i dont know how long he nursed or if it was off and on. When I changed his diaper afterwards, there was a little bit of the brick colored dust that I know is common the first few days postpartum. The diaper was also very wet, so I'm not sure if I should be worried about him being dehydrated. Since I have to supplement on top of nursing, I always make sure his urine is clear or a very faint yellow to make sure he's getting enough supplement. I change his diaper probably about 10-12 times per day and they're all wet, so I don't know what to make of the 'dust'. It hasn't been on any of the diapers since. Any thoughts?

Wet means hydrated, I think. Could it be the result of passing gas maybe?

It was up front near his boy parts, do I don't think it could have been caused by gas. I guess I'll just wait to see if it happens again and call the ped if it does. It really worried me.. Thank you

If you're confident that it's urate crystals then I'd keep an eye out for other signs of dehydration. If baby isn't showing signs of being dehydrated then I personally wouldn't worry. However given your concerns about supply and feedings, a call to the pediatrician may be a good idea just to see how he/she would proceed.

In a healthy newborn urate crystals are usually ok as long as signs of dehydration are absent. Increase feedings and keep an eye on output and look for : decreased saliva or dry mucosal membranes (eyes, nose, mouth, etc), dry chapped lips, lethargy, skin that doesn't retain elasticity, going more than 6 hours without any urine would definitely warrant s call to the docs.