Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: first poop?

Default Re: first poop?

alilwest, I am so sorry. This must be terribly frustrating and disheartening for you.

Since you seem to be very upset about the idea of not being able to breastfeed, I am very sorry you feel that because for some reason it appears you either do not make enough milk at this point, or for some reason, baby is not able to transfer milk effectively, that means you have to stop nursing or feeding your baby breastmilk entirely.

Maybe after a good nights rest you will feel differently. Many, many moms have temporary or even ongoing supply issues or milk transfer issues and still nurse as much as they can and supplement as needed. The benefits of breasteeding/breastmilk are not all or nothing-at all.

I suggest, get some sleep, and if, after some rest, you think you still want to nurse, even if you also have to supplement, I suggest look into getting some local support and the book Making More Milk.
    If you ever want to chat on the phone, please feel welcome to pm me.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 24th, 2012 at 10:56 PM.

yeah, i did that with dd. nursed/pumped/supplemented. if ds was my only child, perhaps i would consider doing that again, but it was a full time job in and of itself. i told myself i wouldn't do it again. do i think he deserves all the breastmilk i can make? absolutely. but i can't justify taking that much time away from my family. it's literally a full time job when you consider the time that goes into each of those... nursing x amount of minutes, pumping for x amount of minutes, making bottles, cleaning bottles and pumping equipment...etc.

It is so time-consuming. I don't know what I would have done if I had struggled with my second baby the way I did with my first.

I think you have a good plan regarding continuing to pump as much as possible and accept what comes. I'd just like to suggest that you keep the baby at the breast for a few feedings per day. It doesn't have to be all of them. But even 1 or 2 nursing sessions can help your baby retain his latching skills, and his desire to nurse, and his instinct that breast = comfort, and those things can keep your options open for the future. Maybe someday you'll find that baby is getting bigger and stronger and is a better nurser, and you'll want to try him at the breast again. Or you'll discover that the breast soothes him to sleep when the bottle doesn't. Basically, I think nursing is such a valuable mothering tool that it makes sense to retain it if possible.

One technique a lot of bottle-feeding moms use is something called "finish at the breast". You feed baby a bottle or most of a bottle, and then nurse him afterwards. Hopefully that teaches baby that all good things- comfort, sleepiness, a little bit of tasty "top-up" milk- comes from the breast. And again, teaching him that keeps your options open. He's still so little!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

(Edit– whoops double posted right after Mommal again. I'm doing this on my annoying phone so I can't do it all over again please excuse any doubling up of suggestions– end edit )

There is no doubt that formula feeding or, especially, a combination of formula, bottles pumping and breast-feeding is more work than exclusive feeding at the breast. However what you described above with the timed feedings, pumping every time afterwords etc. is one way to combination feed– it is not the only way to combination feed. As one example you could nurse as much as you like and offer your baby formula as needed, either before or after nursing sessions, and not pump at all. Another example would be to supplement at the breast with a lactation aid. You could do many different things and adjust strategies as needed. Again I understand these would not be as simple or as easy as simply nursing at the breast, however it might be much less time-consuming and exhausting than what you experienced with your older child, and it would keep baby nursing at the breast at least part of the time for longer– maybe much longer– than going straight to formula only now, especially since if I understand the situation correctly your baby does nurse and you do produce milk. Of course you must do what is best for yourself, your baby and your entire family and you know best what that would be.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 25th, 2012 at 07:47 AM.

so, my last post was super dramatic. i apologize, but the thought of failing at this weighs very heavily on my heart.

I've been trying to pump every 2-2.5 hours, and rarely get more than 1.25oz combined. He's been eating around 2-3oz every 2-3 hours. So, today I started drinking non-alcoholic beer and taking fenugreek and more milk plus. Tomorrow I plan on calling my primary care doctor to make an appt to discuss possible causes for my low supply and dom. Do they typically do blood tests before they prescribe it? I've also read other posts that say that doctors won't always prescribe it depending on where you live...? Can anyone who has taken it provide any insight as to your experience? I went on to webmd and the only two reviews that were given by women who took it to increase milk production were both happy with its results.... Does it typically work?
    Last edited by @llli*alilwest; August 27th, 2012 at 11:06 PM.

Domperidone is not FDA-approved, which means that women in the US can have trouble obtaining it. Most US women are prescribed Reglan instead- which is ironic because Reglan seems to have more, and more troublesome, side-effects than Domperidone. I took Reglan and had no side-effects aside from increased milk production.

Blood tests to look into: thyroid levels (TSH, T3, T4), prolactin level, and (IIRC) whatever tests they do to check for PCOS- I think there's a testosterone level, maybe an estrogen level as well?

You may want to talk to your ob or midwife rather than your primary care doc. They can order the same tests and may have more experience with milk supply issues than a primary care physician.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thank you for your help.

I wrote my ob regarding the bloodwork and reglan and am waiting for him to respond.

I returned the hospital grade pump today, but feel like that may have been a mistake. DS will be three weeks on Tuesday.... Should I have kept the pump for a while longer?

I took DS to the ped yesterday, and since we've been supplementing he's gained a ton of weight... too much, actually. Unfortunately, unlike our DD, he doesn't stop when he's full, which from what I've read in these forums is totally normal for bottle fed babies... they just keep going and going.

While I'm disappointed that I'm not able to EBF, i am happy to say that i begin and end each feeding nursing. I can usually pump about 1-1.5oz every 2.5 hours, so I assume that he gets at least that when nursing then I supplement with 1.5-2oz afterwards. We then go from there. Ped says because he was a big baby (10lb 11oz at birth), he may consume more than other babies his age , which could be why nursing wasn't enough for him to gain or have BMs. My OB did agree to prescribe Reglan, but despite my desire to EBF, I've decided to not take it. I am prone to depression and don't want to risk falling into a downward spiral. I really wish dom was FDA approved. It sounds like that really is the ideal medication for someone wanting to increase milk production while experiencing minimal side effects.

Anyhow, I wanted to thank you LLLMeg and Mommal for your help. I know my wishy-washiness is annoying... but I appreciate you sticking with me. You both also helped me see that it's ok to tweak our nursing relationship to suit our needs. After all, if baby isn't gaining or pooping, something needs to change. And, something that makes me VERY happy is the realization that just because we have to supplement right now, doesn't mean I can't nurse long term . For some reason this didn't dawn on me sooner.

Oh mama,you' re not being wishy-washy! You're struggling with a really difficult issue and you'd be crazy not to wonder whether or not it would be better to just give the whole enterprise up and formula-feed.

I'm so glad you've chosen to continue to nurse. I think you have a really good chance of eventually transitioning to exclusive breastfeeding- maybe once your LO grows up a bit more and gets stronger he'll become a better nurser and he'll boost your supply on his own, and you'll be able to ditch the bottles. Seriously, within a couple of months I bet you'll be back here wondering how and when it'll be okay to phase out the formula.

I wouldn't take that whole "he's a big baby, so he needs more" thing as gospel. Think about it this way: moms often get their babies to 20-30 lbs on breastmilk alone, and breastmilk alone is enough to sustain a much older baby.

Regarding Domperidone- it's frustrating, isn't it! You might want to contact Dr. Jack Newman (http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/) or at least print out the latest on Domperidone from his website and show it to your doc. Dom is available in the US, by prescription from compounding pharmacies.

I bought a scale today! I'm so happy to finally be able to track how much Ds gets while nursing. Hopefully this allows me to eliminate some, if not all, suuplement. I have a few questions, though.

1- if DS goes to the bathroom while nursing, how do I factor that in?
    2- I've read that one before/after weigh doesn't really tell us anything, so should I keep track of his intake for a whole day?
    3- where do I go from here?