Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: first poop?

Default first poop?

Hi ladies,

my son was born on Tuesday morning, and pretty much cleared his system of all the meconium within 12 hours (6 poops). We had one very small poop on Thursday, though we have been having 7+ wet diapers/ day. My breasts just became engorged yesterday morning, so I'm wondering when I might see his first non-meconium poop.

thank you!

Default Re: first poop?

Probably really soon. If there's no poop in 24 hours, I'd be surprised.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

ok

we have a doc appt this afternoon for his jaundice so i guess if there isn't any poop by then, i'll bring it up.

Sounds like a good plan. I hope you see it by your appointment, just because I don't want you to get formula pushed on you! Keep that baby at the breast!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Are you nursing lots and lots and is baby able to latch and nurse effectively? Nurse REALLY frequently and if latch hurts or baby cannot soften the breast at all, you may need help with latch. Keep an eye on that engorgement. Fullness is normal, engorgement can spell touble. Keep the milk flowing, preferably into baby but flowing no matter what. More milk into baby = more poops.

My breasts weren't really engorged... i guess that was my way of saying that my milk came in. Still no poop. I wasn't latching him on correctly the first few days, so both nipples blistered and are still incredibly sore. I've been trying to keep lansinoh on them and express milk to help them heal, but they aren't. The latch is still uncomfortable, but I can't tell if that's because my nipples are already hurt or if the latch is still bad. I try shoving as much of my areola in his mouth as possible, look for the fish lips, make sure he's facing me, i can hear him swallowing .. I know he's getting milk because my breasts are substantially less full when he's done, and many times when he comes off the breast he has milk in and dripping out of his mouth. He's had four wet diapers today. I don't know at this stage if they should be heavy... they aren't. But there was definitely urine in them.

"wet" really just means like 2 tablespoons at this point, so it sounds like he's probably on track, but keep nursing nursing nursing and counting pee diapers.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

well, it's now 2am and there's still no poop, but there has been plenty more pee. The doc did recommend formula, so much so that he gave us two cans. If I hadn't been sobbing, perhaps I would have asked him to keep it. I really struggled with bf-ing my dd, and thought I had done enough homework to succeed this time around with ds. The LC at the hospital recommended I use nipple shields which I refused. Is it possible that having blistered or scabbed nipples will prevent a newborn from being able to empty out a breast? It seems like he's unable to empty the right one very well. Also, I'm still really confused about this pee without poop situation. Every diaper we've changed has had pee on it, and he's peed on us twice today. The jaundice makes this whole situation more difficult... oh, and the broken hospital grade pump we rented. I feel like keeping track of hte output at this point is indicating that he isn't getting enough. I'm feeding him at constantly. I haven't caved and given him anything else. And, if it wasn't for this whole poop thing, I wouldn't be so worried. I just don't understand.

You are right to be concerned.
    although sore nipples are common during the first two weeks of breastfeeding, an infant who is not having yellow/green seedy bowel mov'ts is not common.
    switching to an artificial baby milk should not be the first line of action.
    Do not ignore your instincts. Your baby needs to be seen by a doctor.
    this is not a feeding issue. this is a intestinal track issue.
    IMO.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Mama, I was so hoping you'd have a different experience!

Okay, blisters and scabs shouldn't prevent milk from coming out, but they are indicative of a latch issue which may be causing slow or low milk transfer (that's MAY, not IS!). Sometimes blisters can cause plugged ducts, and that can reduce the amount of milk coming out- but you'd feel that in the breast.

I understand that the poop situation is confusing. It's excellent that baby is peeing lots, but a 5 day old infant who isn't pooping is cause for some concern. Sometimes babies will get enough milk that they stay hydrated but not enough to grow. When this happens, they produce plenty of pee but little poop.

How jaundiced is your baby at this point? Is he sleepy at the breast? Is he nursing frequently (10-12 times a day)?

And do you have access to a LC who is an IBCLC? I'd really advocate getting some hands-on help and a professional assessment of nursing at this point.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; August 19th, 2012 at 05:06 AM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"