Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will it ever stop hurting?

Default Will it ever stop hurting?

I am EBF my little man who is almost 3mo. I have had tons of problems! Bleeding nipples, Posterior TT that we got clipped, had to use a nipple shield and finally I've been able to get back to the breast prettynmuch all the time but I have now found that I have renolds syndrome (sp?). Which is terribly painful. But recently his latch has started to hurt me again and I'm bleeding. Will it ever stop hurting?

Default Re: Will it ever stop hurting?

I don't have any answers for you, but wanted to offer some encouragement until someone knowledgable can reply.

You've been through alot and you've done a great job dealing with the issues you're already had. You are a dedicated mother to persevere with so many obstacles. Hang in there. I'm sure you'll find an answer to your problems.

So sorry for your pain. Have you worked with a lactation consultant or someone at you local La Leche League on latch? My early days were so painful and it got better as her mouth grew. It was such work to get everything to work well. I find at 10 weeks I still have to work at the latch some days, but I will admit, the toughest days seem to be over I'm not sure how else to guide you at three months except to work with an expert..
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

I have been to two LLL meetings and met with people outside of that. I'm not sure what else to do. We just can't seem to get a latch that doesn't hurt. I tried waiting till the 12 week mark cause people told me his mouth would get bigger and fix the problem. Well it did get a little better and I thought I was making progress. But instead of not scabbing at all it just takes longer for them to get that bad. I never got to nurse my first child and it has been really important to me that I at least make it to the 6mo mark but it's a terrible cycle of nursing him for a week or so till I scab and bleed then have to pump for a day or two till I heal but then my supply takes a hit and I have to nurse him every two hours to get it back up then I'm back in pain! It's exhausting and I'm not sure I can take three more months of this. He does fine going back and forth between the bottle and the breast but he refuses to nurse with the shield any more.
    I don't want to give up but I've been told for three months it's going to get better soon and it just hasn't.

Well it sounds to me something is clearly still up with latch. If you have tried all positioning and latch ideas you can with no improvement, there may still be an anatomical issue. On hte other hand, if you are always positioing & latching baby the same way, maybe the positioiung or latch technique is the issue or part of the issue.

BTW, nursing frequently should not hurt. This is often misunderstood. Nursing frequently is actually often a way to avoid a poor latch & latch pain as baby is more patient and relaxed about latching correctly if calm and not hungry. Nipple pain and injury due to latch comes from a poor latch, not from nursing frequency.

I am glad you have gone to LLL meetings but LLL Leaders are not board certfied lactation consultants. (Well some are but if you saw them as LLL Leaders they cannot do things like examine babies anatomy.) Have you seen an IBCLC? If you have and are still having issues, there should be a way to get follow up care.

Sometimes a baby getting bigger does help. But not always. SOMETHING is causing these problems and so it follows there is some way to correct it.

I haven't seen an IBCLC I have heard they are very expensive and that is just not something we are about to do right now. He had a posterior tongue tie and we did have it clipped but the ENT said that the clipping only helps those so much. I just feel like it is his mouth and I'll never be able to fix it and it will always hurt. I am down to only nursing him for the middle of the night feedings and when he is so upset I nurse to calm him down but I am pumping the rest of the time. There was a period of time that I felt like the latch was better. The first few seconds hurt but after that I was fine. And it was more of a sore then the sharp cutting pain. I'm not sure what changed but we are back to the sharp pain that is making me bleed. My milk is going down with just pumping so I think I might have to bite the bullet and look up different positions and latch techniques and just try everything again and nurse every time one day and see what happens. Any suggestions for the nipple pain relief other then lanolin?

Mama, I just want to encourage you to believe that this will improve with time. My first kid tore me up- literally!- and I nursed on extremely deep cracks for 4.5 months. Just when I was committed to nursing for 1 year and not 1 single day more, because of those d*** cracks, they up and healed. Sometimes you just have to wait for the baby's mouth to grow big enough to latch well despite a tongue tie or a high palate or whatever issue is causing you pain.

See an IBCLC. At least call and ask about how much she'd charge and if you can work out some sort of payment plan if necessary. Most IBCLCs are not in the biz for the money- they're in it because they like helping moms achieve breastfeeding success. Youay even run across an angel like my IBCLCs- one of them helped me for free as a favor to my MIL, the other considered her IBCLC work her "ministry" and didn't charge anyone, no matter how many times they came over to her house to cry on her shoulder. And even if your IBCLC is expensive, think about it this way: one session with a pro that enables you to nurse is going to be cheaper than a year's worth of formula ($1500-2000, in most cases).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ouch! Sounds like you've been through a lot. Painful nipples do generally get better as baby's mouth gets bigger and he gets more experienced. I agree with mommal, it might be good to find out at least what an IBCLC costs. Formula costs alot more in the long run. I wonder if there are still anatomical issues at play?

Dr Newman has an ointment he prescribes for nipple pain. It can give alot of relief. It treats the pain and helps heal your nipples, but getting the latch right is still the best prevention.

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...ename=doc-APNO

Here are some of my favorite latching links. I personally had good success with the Flipple technique. It helped DS get a good deep latch.

COMFORT ZONE (Comfort zone explained+your baby knows how to latch)
    http://www.ameda.com/resources/video

ASYMMETRICAL LATCH (Dr Newman’s info)
    http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-WL

THE “FLIPPLE” LATCH (Latching technique where you fold your breast into baby's mouth so your nipple ends up far back in her mouth)
    http://www.breastfeedingmadesimple.c...atedlatch.html
    (animation)
    http://www.rebeccaglover.com.au/grap...aching_big.jpg
    http://www.rebeccaglover.com.au/grap...chment_big.jpg

THE BABY-LED LATCH (Baby latches himself on while mother helps. A relaxing position and often comfortable latch)
    http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I tried the "flipple" latch and it seems to be helping! Not every latch is great but there are more good latches then bad! That is huge! And he seems to be getting more milk that way too! He was only going about 2 hours in between feeding and now he's going 4+! How wonderful! I am just hoping that with him actually nursing my supply will go back up! I'm sure I will have more questions, and i still struggle with the Reynold's syndrome, but this is better for now! It still hurts a little because I'm already torn up but I imagine it will get better soon!!! Thank you!

That's such good news!!! So glad to hear it is helping. Be sure to keep us posted.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.