Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance?

Default Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance?

We've recently been having some issues with breastfeeding and everything I've read makes me think its a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I've been block feeding but am a little confused about how it works. I have been doing it in 3 hour blocks which is usually 2-3 feedings. The other breast that I'm not using gets very full and when I switch sides he often chokes and pulls off, but gets back on. Could I pump some from that side before feeding him? Also, I can't feel when letdown happens, so I can't pull him off and catch it on a towel like I've read.

Default Re: Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance?

don't pump! that only exacerbates problems with oversupply or forceful letdown, because if you pump you're telling your body to make more milk, which is the opposite of what blockfeeding is doing. maybe try uphill/laidback/biological nursing positioning so the milk isn't coming as quickly if it's too much for your baby to handle. if he's doing ok with the fast flow then there's really not too much to worry about. you say he chokes and unlatches but then comes back for more, so it sounds like he's learning to cope, and as he grows he will be better and better able to handle the fast flow.
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

Default Re: Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance?

Stay away from the pump. If baby is willing to go back onto the breast after pulling off, this isn't really a problem. Yeah, he's probably getting a forceful letdown and not enjoying it, but it's really only an issue if he gets so upset that he refuses to go back to the breast and just screams instead of eating. It sounds like you're managing this just fine, but I would try the reclined positions if you haven't already.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"