Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EMAB Milkmaid Tea...

Default EMAB Milkmaid Tea...

I've been drinking 2-3 cups of Earth Mama Angel Baby's Milkmaid tea (fennel, fenugreek, and a few other ingredients), and I know that fenugreek will make you smell a little like maple syrup, but I've been noticing that my sense of smell and taste seems off. Mostly when eating plain carbs like bread, pasta, etc. I'm not sure I would describe it as "maple syrup" but it's vaguely similar.

Is this common, along with smelling like maple syrup? Just wanting to make sure it's not a sign of some health problem or something unrelated to the tea. I didn't notice this the first few weeks I was drinking it, but did notice it after buying a bunch in bulk from amazon (didn't know if it was a different formulation, or if it had all finally built up in my system enough). Either way... have other people noticed this so I can stop freaking out?

Default Re: EMAB Milkmaid Tea...

Is it still happening?

I haven't found anything about a change in sense of smell or taste as a side effect, but if you smell different, maybe having that scent with you all the time makes other things smell and taste different. Not that your senses themselves are affected, but that the presence of the fenugreek smell influences how things taste. If that makes any sense!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: EMAB Milkmaid Tea...

yeah, still happening, but I did take a break from it for three days and noticed the taste/smell thing subsiding a little bit (now wish I hadn't taken that break, struggling to break even with milk this week... thanks mom, for visiting and saying "oh no, you need your rest, maybe you should relax" whenever I was about to set up the pump after baby's bedtime... heheh)

So I'm pretty sure it's just the tea, and not a weird brain tumor or something.

My SO thinks it's awesome. His family is of Indian descent and they put fenugreek in everything, so when I complained about it, he thought I was crazy. "But now everything tastes like curry!!!! That's the BEST!"