Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping/Breastmilk question???

Default Pumping/Breastmilk question???

Just recently when I have started to pump, I will receive a let down and then no more milk will come out. If I wait another 10 minutes and then return back to pumping I will have another let down again. The problem is I do not have time to do this at work and I do not produce enough breast milk alone (only receiving about 1oz off of each breast when I pump). Is there any reason why my breasts are deciding to take a break? And is there anything I can do to trick them into continuing to give me the milk that I KNOW is there. I pump and I leave still feeling full and I know this is going to effect my milk supply which is already low enough! Any help would be much appreciated : )

Default Re: Pumping/Breastmilk question???

You could try using the little yellow let-down button (if you have a Medela pump) as soon as your first let-down stops to see if you can trigger another let-down right away. You could also try breast compressions to increase the amount of milk that comes out. However, most people need to pump for at least 20 minutes per session to get adequate milk out. (I personally need to do it for 30 minutes). Your job is legally required to give you 'reasonable break time' to express your milk for your baby, although that time may be unpaid. You are entitled to enough time to pump adequately and you should fight for it! Good luck!

with the PP. This sounds like a stimulation issue- my guess is that somehow the pump isn't able to get you into letdown mode quickly enough.

I would start by checking the pump, replacing the parts that should be replaced. If that doesn't help, I would consider either upgrading to a better pump or adding in more pumping sessions, either at work (if possible) or at home if not.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I also do the breast compression and change the settings on the pump to speed up the second letdown.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

thanks you all, I will def give all of these things a try!

you may have to experiment to find out what works best for you; i could get a first letdown at about 3 minutes, and then another one at 23, so i pumped 26 mins every time. massage/relaxation/video & pics of baby helped me get into it, for the first 5 mins or so, and then i could go back to work on my computer, but i had to set a timer or i'd forget and end up pumping for 40 ...
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My pumping sessions were also longish, but productive. I used to budget 30 minutes, but usually go back closer to 25. But I pumped only twice a day rather than three times, so it worked out well for me. It can take some time to figure out your routine and tweak it over time.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.